Admitting to parents

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by alwaysscared, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alwaysscared

alwaysscared Active Member

Anyone got any tips on how to tell family that you have cut? My mum saw 1 of my scars yesterday and demanded to see both my arms, but I got angry and told her to leave me alone.

But today she is going to want to know EXACTLY what is going on and I can't tell her....I've got about 15 scars on my arms at least 20 on my legs.

I can't see mum hurt and she wont talk to me at all till I tell her :sad:

Sorry if this makes no sense. But if ANYONE has any tips, please share
  2. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

the best thing to do is calmly explain what happens and why you cut. you have to remember that if you get mad she'll get mad too, this is gonna be a scary thing for her, you're her baby, she'll hate to see you upset or in pain or doing this to yourself. the tension that you can feel is the anxiety of telling her.

its not that hard, and chances are she'll take it a lot better than you think she will. she's your ma and she loves you unconditionally! at least if you admit to her what you do, you might be able to get some help and eventually stop.
  3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I've been walking around with the idea to tell my parents, but I didn't really know how either.

I think when you tell her, you best stay calm, like taranama said. She might be odd about it, or angry or something at first, but I think that in the end her relief over the fact that you told her, will be stronger.
    Most parents want their children to be open and honest with them. Sometimes that means they will feel hurt or in shock over something the child tells them, but in the end, you DID confide in her, tell her the truth. I think she'll appreciate that.

Good luck :hug:
  4. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

taranama said it very well. You just have to keep calm, and explain the reasons why you do it, and she will understand and try to help you. It will be ok :wink:

5. DrownedGirl

DrownedGirl Well-Known Member

I have the same problem.. i have scars on both of my hands. Well when i am whit othere people i wear long shirts..and stuff. I had my sleevs up one day and my mom saw the scars but she did not say anything. Nothing. It is like she is ignoring me or stuff.. I was trying to tell her but she dose not want to listen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.