admitting yourself to A&E in the UK

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by st_91, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st_91

st_91 Active Member

I've been thinking bout voluntarily admitting myself into hospital but i keep worrying what i have to do and what it would be like.

Has anyone here ever done it and can tell me what it was like and what will happen?
    And what things i can take with me or should take with me etc?

My minds just messing me up with random questions..

2. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

(its slightly different for each county/town) Whilst at a&e tell the nurse how you are feeling, explain thoughts etc. they will then contact for a mental health worker from your local cmht or someone who is on that night (if there is one) they will discuss with you your options and what you are feeling (thats all I know I'm afraid)
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The most important issue is whether you are safe...if you are not, please do not worry what will happen, and instead, get the immediate care you need
  4. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

If you go to A&E, it's the crisis team you want to be talking to, assuming your nearest hospital has one, most do. When i went to A&E i simply asked at reception if they had a crisis team, they said no, but asked me what the problem was, i told her about my situation and about the fresh cuts on my arms, they kept me in for while and then sent me home after a few hours. Anyway they said they will contact a crisis team from the next nearest hospital and the will visit me at home, which they did. You can choose to visit the crisis team at the hospital if you don't want them at your home. My experience of the crisis team was a good one. However i think it will be different for everyone. I'm not sure if you will need anything, i didn't take anything and they provided everything that i needed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.