adrenaline addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Loco72, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

So I was wondering anyone else was addicted to having a adrenaline rush. I feel like I am. I love participating in dangerous sports(I play women's full contact football), I go white water rafting several times a season, I go rock climbing even though I am absolutely terrified of heights, it seems to make the rush even better and I ride a motorcycle. When I can't do anything like that I tend to get tattoos and piercings. I've had 9 piercings and 4 tattoos, and ready for another. After I get a rush I feel great for days. I've noticed I the urge is greater when I'm feeling anxious. Am I weird?
  2. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

You are not weird. Adrenaline addiction is very common. Every single human that is interested in extreme sports is addicted. At the begging it's not a problem, but eventually you need more adrenalin and more extreme sports. Be careful.

Ps: I love adrenalin, but i rarely have the chance to "feel it". Do you have any advice for less "hardcore" sports that are cheap and easy?
  3. hardcore

hardcore Well-Known Member

Freerunning !!!! it is only dangerous if you make it so and all you need is a pair of running shoes and somewhere to do it (a potential problem). I always need something to release myself. Adrenaline has been one of those things. My friends have boxed each other at abandoned buildings. Climbing buildings, pulling pranks around police, exploring dangerous places, and other things. Adrenaline is safer than alternatives.
  4. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not really, football was my best release, I've been playing for 5 years now, but my body is getting to beat up for it so I think I am retiring end of this season. I'll have to figure something else out.
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

You are definitely not weird. It's been fairly well-documented in the U.S. most recently on several documentaries.

Many people were interviewed about the 'rush' they get from 'thrill' sports. I can see where tattooing and piercing would be similar. It seems they become addited to it in some whatever the brain releases into the system...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.