Advice about starting sertraline.

angelicupstart

One small victory this week already. Finally getting my medication changed. I’ll be coming off quetiapine for good and starting a med called sertraline (I’ve not heard of it before).
does anyone know much about this med because it’s a new one on me and whilst I’m ready to give it a chance I am also rather anxious that my sleep is going to suffer. And I’ve read it can increase suicidal thoughts in under 25s. I’m so hoping it will be the right med for me.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
There is more of a potential risk of that happening in children and adolescents being prescribed meds from that drug class (SSRIs) apart from Fluoxetine. As with most antidepressants regardless of class, during initiation of therapy there can be the risk of suicidal ideation developing during the first 2 weeks. It may not necessarily be due to the side effect of the new med as other factors may be involved such as of course the emotional state of the patient.

In most cases, it's recommended for close patient monitoring to be carried out during the early stages, more so if they happen to be at increased risk. Usually a follow up every 2 weeks or so (sometimes shorter than that) is carried out. Of course it goes without saying, any untoward effects you may experience, then inform your doctor/pharmacist as soon as possible.

angelicupstart

I think that's something generally true about anti-depressants, not something that is specific to sertraline.

Did you mention that to your doctor?
They’re fully aware of my sleep issues as it’s been a lifetime problem (as with most autistics) I bring it up at every session but it gets pushed to sidelines a bit. I always feel like I’m talking to these people wrong and they don’t understand half of what I’m trying to express.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I've been on Sertraline, it was an okay fit for me. The side effects of SSRIs are usually things like headache, nausea, stuff like that. But for me it's always been mild and gone away after a week or so. Just remember it will take a while to know if it's helping, and it will probably be pretty subtle. And tell your doc if anything happens that you have concerns about.
I hope it helps *hug

Sad Elf

Hi

i am on sertraline, I have been for years.

when I first started I felt a bit sick for a week or two, but after that no real side effects ( I think it increases my headaches, but hard to know if this is down the tablets or not.)

in terms of sleeping, I have always been a good sleeper, usually get 14 hours a night at the weekend.

From my experience nothing to major to worry about. I have a history of self harm and it hasn't increased my self harm or suicidal thoughts.

Elf

Sane Man

Sane Possum
I believe sertraline was one of the meds I tried when I was finding what worked for me. It's been awhile now since I've used but my memory of that is that it was pretty harsh side effects, and didn't really benefit me too well. Of course, I was/am a male in my 30s, so that makes a difference. I'm on escitalopram now, which is the newer version of citalopram and have had good success with that, with only slight side effects and no problem sleeping. It's also an SSRI, with the only drawback is it's only available in small doses. For example, I'm on the highest avail dose of it and would have to go to something else if I ever needed more. Good luck, and I suggest someone being involved in your process with you if possible if you are someone who does not have good control. I remember what that was like, and, ya it's kind of an unpleasant time doing the trial and error thing.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00