Advice for Filling out Job Applications

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by lachrymose27, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

So.. i've filled out a few job applications.. but I always get stumped at the part where you have to type a "Reason for leaving your most recent job". (I have a tendency to quit 1 month or 1 year later due to depression).

This question really sets me back.. I'm not sure whether I should be honest or lie about it.. I'm not too good with what employers want to hear... so can I get some advice from you experienced guys and gals? Thanks.
  2. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

List your reasons for leaving as medical, it's not a lie but doesn't go too far into detail. Too many people judge depression in a harsh light, can consider people suffering from depression as "crazy" so I see no harm in simply saying that you left due to illness, or left for medical reasons.

Good luck!
  3. lachrymose27

Wouldn't they question the medical leave in an interview though?

4. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

They very well may, but if they do it is okay to simply say "It's a non issue at this point". If they press the matter take a deep breath, so you don't have anxiety and tell them it's very personal, but I doubt they will press.

I also see no reason to be 100% truthful on the application to begin with, but from your OP I kind of felt as though it does matter to you. I had left one job some time ago because of my depression, but on my applications I always state my reason for leaving as "family matters" and if they ask about it in an interview I tell them I opted to be a stay at home parent for a while. They usually see this in a good light, and before I had kids I even told one interviewer that I left my previous job to help my brother take care of his kids, which I did do, but was not my I left that job, I actually left it because I was being constantly sexually harassed, but you put that on a job application and you are likely to be seen as a troublemaker :/

I've gone off point a bit, what I'm trying to say is, if you are worried about being questioned further, just fudge it a little, or even say "the job wasn't a good fit for me, so in the best interests of myself and the company I felt it was best I look for something better suited to my particular skills".
  5. jwill226

jwill226 Member

As long as you left on good terms I would just say you didn't get the hours you needed. It makes you look like someone that wanted to work it just didn't work out at your last job.
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Er, I don't know. I kind of admire your desire to want to tell the truth.
    Though I have to be honest when admitting medical issues, if it's for a basic un-skilled job, it might work against you. If they get 100 applications, they're going to go for the ones that have the least amount of past problems. Such as illness, ect.
    You can be a bit more honest though, if it's depression, it kinda means that the job wasn't giving you a positive boost, which could be summarized as the work environment was to your liking. Though if it is of a similar job, that would be a bad thing to say.
    I agree about saying something about hours. I really am starting to re-appricate being honest and true to your own life, so I do understand writing to the truth, and how difficult it is to bend it. Anyhow, I hope it goes ok
  7. lachrymose27

what should I write down when they ask for salary requirements? o.o
  8. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Depends on the position and your experience really. Aswell as competition in the general market.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.