Advice for living in a car

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by MyCatWillMissMe, Jun 10, 2016.

1. MyCatWillMissMe

MyCatWillMissMe Well-Known Member

I'm posting this here because I'm looking for not only material and experience advice but also advice for coping with it mentally. Nothing has worked out for me and the waiting list for my place is still 3-6 months.

It's going to be summer and I was thinking about just leaving the car on with the AC on low at night but I've read stuff about how there's a small chance you could gas yourself and die. It might be super hot sometimes and not having any kind of AC would be really rough. Are there any kinds of battery powered fans that aren't super expensive, maybe I could charge the battery in my car during the day or something and use it at night?

Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated.

2. CodeX

CodeX Controversial Figure

Below one you can inject in cigarette lighter jack. I think if you have a long enough cable you can connect it directly to battery (to waste lesser battery).
    [​IMG]
    Try to park you car under a tree and greenery around ..that should keep the temperature lower a bit

3. CodeX

[​IMG]

MinnBiker likes this.
  4. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Mycat, make sure you remain hydrated and try to keep as clean as possible. Park in Walmart parking lot if they will let you and make sure if contacted by police you cooperate with them, generally they will not mess with you but there are those exceptions. Check to see with local homeless advocates if there are safe lots to park in as some cities have these, not all.

5. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Mycat, this is a YouTube video on how to use a cheap styrofoam cooler, ice and a fan for cooling. I'm sure it could be converted to use in your car. It may be worth a try, hope this helps
    Brian

Thauoy likes this.
  6. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Is it possible for you to spend the day inside some place that has A/C?

DrownedFishOnFire and Brian777 like this.
  7. MyCatWillMissMe

What does that even mean, like walk around Walmart all day?

I'll probably get a YMCA membership just so I can shower in a decent place, and there's AC in there, but I don't like to be around people that much so I'd have to leave. I really don't even care about having to sleep in my car, I'm so dead inside at this point that nothing really phases me. My only concerns are my cats and having some sort of AC. If I don't find a place to go or someone who will take care of my cats for a few months, I will be dead on July 1st.

8. CodeX

ask for for help
    i hope you have tried calling people you know ..sometimes help comes from people you least expected to help.
    for cats.. if you have any local website you can try placing an ad about your cat situation there.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I am really sorry that you are in this position. Are there not any homeless shelters you can go to?

10. MyCatWillMissMe

I won't stay in a homeless shelter. That's just too low for me on top of everything else. I already have zero desire to live and that would be way too much.

11. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

You know mycat, it's okay for you not show gratitude to people who are just trying to help and support you. But do you have to insult them as well??? Think about it!!!!
    Brian

12. MyCatWillMissMe

I'm really not here to make friends, just looking for any tips or advice if anyone else has been in this position.

13. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

Everyone is just trying to help you.

14. oceanic

oceanic Member

You can park in the Walmart parking lot overnight to sleep, Walmart allows it. I think that's what mpk was referring to.

15. oceanic

oceanic Member

I found some low cost emergency boarding places for pets. If you want me to help you find one let me know where you live on here or by PM or you can google emergency low cost pet boarding. You can also try vets in your area to see how much it would cost to board them there. They usually charge less than other boarding facilities.

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.