Advice needed on a a couple of things

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Stormhand, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Stormhand

Stormhand Well-Known Member

It kinda pains me to talk about this, cause I have been in a really descent mood today, but here it goes.

I am sure some may know i am epileptic, you see I got this problem.
    On account of that it is next to impossible for me to get a job, so day by day is always the damn same thing, get up watch tv, eat, read, myspace, xbox 360 and sleep.
    Its getting tiring.

At one time I actually had abit of hope, I was going through vocational rehabilitation to get into school, but after they read my medical records, they told me cause my seizures have not been active, they cannot help me.
    So hee I am back to square one, the only time I have to get my mind off of all this is on the weekends with my friends.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to get through this, around it...oh yeah I preffer not to lie like my mom keeps insisting.

Also, for some time now I have been talking to someone on myspace, I know many think..I may be wasting my time or I need to watch myself.
    but I am SOO damn tired of being alone, this is the next thing i hate about myself, other then being jobless.
    But things seem to be going good, right now I just have to wonder if I should let her go cause in all honesty I doubt I will see her in person, and I don't want to hurt or disappoint her in the long run, cause hs eis starting to mean alot to me, she is the one person who is there for me, even though at times its hard for me get myelf to count on others, its a process I am going through...
    so any help would greatly be appreciated.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Can you do some volunteer work? That is one way to get out during the week and it is satisfying to help others. You can do this part time so it won't get overwhelming. Perhaps you can read to elders in a nursing home, or serve food at a homeless shelter.

Let your online friend, be your online friend. You said you would never meet, so friendship is best.

3. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

i know someone who has epilepsy and they have a job. it's possible you just gotta keep looking. have you looked into getting disability? you could possibly do that. online friends don't always have to be just online friends. anything could happen
  4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

If the online relationship/friendship isnt hurting anyone then whats the problem with having some companionship and support? i dont see any issue with it as long as it wont hurt you in the future, if communication breaks down, dont let it be a trigger. Just make sure its a healthy online relationship and you both are on the same page with what each others interests are.

As for the lying to get into school: this school would benefit you wouldnt it? Emotionally and mentally? But you cant get in because you havnt had seizures in a while? Is that right? If thats the case, well on paper you dont qualify to be accepted but they havnt taken into consideration the grey area of how you mental health has been affected by your condition therefore, you can make the decision if its going to be beneficial to you and if you really need this, one lie compared to your mental health and future shouldnt stand in your way. My personal opinion!

Good Luck with your decisions, keep us posted ;)
  5. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

I've met many friends online, and even my boyfriend, so its definitely possible. Why should we limit ourselves to only those in our immediate area?

Also, you should find some other form of schooling, if you can continue school and do well that will show any job prospects that you can handle your epilepsy and by successful, that you dont let it stop you!

Good luck with everything!
  6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Do you take medication for your epilepsy?
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would think not hiring you because of your epilepsy would be discrimination. If you are on medication then there should be no problem Look into discrimination laws.
  8. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

In Ireland, having epilepsy can come under the heath and safety act so its not discrimination but it might be diff in other countries
  9. Stormhand

yeah same meds I have taken since I was 12
  10. Stormhand

I have been on meds for a very long time.

yes that is true, but in the stats of Tennessee, an employee can be fired for any reason, employers would just use the fact I have seizures to fire me, my seizures may be under control but my anxiety is not under control as well.
  11. Stormhand

Yeah so have I, I talk to a few ppl on myspace.
    Well here is the big problem, I am currently on SSI, and in public housing in a single bedroom apartment.
    now with that in mind, say I do get a job, find my won place, I get the iddea I would not be living as good, cause I would have to pay more taxes, and chances are I would not be able to afford to live by myself.

I am stuck on schooling, I don't know where to turn to for finances, word has it that a lot of states have cut financial aid funding
  12. Stormhand

I have though of volunteer work but I would have to do something I would like to do, I am not going to volunteer for something that would just drive me crazy later.

Yeah Jacki lives all teh way in Chicago, and that's abit of a ways from Tennessee, but I get the impression she has really fallen for me, when all I have done is be there for her, like recently her grandmother died.
    and I just told her I am here if she needs me.
  13. Stormhand

I am already on SSi, thats my big problem, all I have is time!
    and day in day out, the same things.

Trust me it would be nice to not be alone, and to have someone that accepts me for who i am, Lately I have thought Jacki to be the closest thing to that.
    Its just so many have cheated and on me and left me, all cause they are just spoiled and only out to get what they want, and I cannot provide that.
    Its liek everyone I have been with, think the relationship is just about her.
    I just have not got to know Jacki that well.

And that has me nervous, she is no different.
  14. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Stormhand,

Hope I've got this's a vocational rehab program to assist people with a medical condition/ability issue? Could the medical system help get into the program? As NoGood points out, over the years, your epilepsy seems to have aggravated your mental health - especially the anxiety. Perhaps a doctor could write a letter saying you qualify for vocational rehab on the grounds of your mental health issues?

I'm sorry to hear that it's tough going for you. Try not to get into a knot over this - at least until you find out for sure what funding (if any) IS available for you. Maybe the school you want to attend has a financial office for processing course fees and maybe they offer students some financial guidance for getting loans, financial aid, etc.

I hope you get some positive news soon. Good luck and :hug: !

15. Stormhand

Regarding the vocational rehab office, I shot that idea by them months ago, cause thats the way I got my SSI, I have not heard anything out of them.
    The best I may be able to do is have my counselor write something at my next appointment, now there's something aggravating, its been a few months now, but my last appointment was canceled for one reason or another, but over here the counselor makes their schedule so I am unsure how long it will be til I even see her.

as far as schooling goes, one other problem I am having is I am unsure what to take, cause really I have no personal interests.
    I took some skill test months ago, said my best skill was reading.
    A lot of things I would like to do I can't cause of the seizures, on account I cannot be near heavy machinery, like say a table saw.
    And its for this reason i have no interests right now.