Advice needed on overcoming panic attack

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicesinging1, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Hi, I am a 24 yr old man who has been battling panic attacks for 8 yrs. It first started over simply reading a book at the age of 16. I was strolling at a bookstore and saw a book my history teacher mentioned about.
    It was a book about Japanese atrocities committed in China during WWII and he warned students it contained graphic images. I remembered the warning but I was curious about what really happened and thought I could handle it at the age of 16. Really unwise decision on my part.
    After looking at few disturbing images which were beyond my imagination, I was greatly disturbed, felt like fainting. So I closed the book and went home immediately. Since then, I have been suffering from PTSD, panic attacks which happen irregularly.
    I have talked to my psychologist once about the problem but never dealt with it in depth. I am going to keep asking people around in real life to get help on this.
    If any of you have dealt with panic attacks, could you offer me some advice?
  2. raw

raw Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I wish I had some words of wisdom because I know how difficult panic attacks can be. I have had them a long time and continue to have them on occassion.

The only two things I do is to get control of my breathing and re-orient myself to the here and now. Generally, I sit down and start breathing deeply and slowly and at the same time orient myself to where I am. It takes awhile for it to work, but it does for me. Dont know if this will help you but I hope it will some.

Hope it helps a little

3. Raven

Raven Guest

I always used to jump in my car throw on some loud music drive and smoke for a good half hour, that worked most of the time. I treid drinking them away (bad idea and I don't support this anymore) the thing is I would get so worried about haveing one that would trigger them. My best advice is try not to run from them, take a step back if you can and just breath. I find it better to confrent them of course sometimes this does not work but its always worse to try and run away from them if you know what I mean. I wish you luck, I would not wish that fun on anyone.
  4. DepressionII

DepressionII Well-Known Member

I just had my first panic attack. What do I do? :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.