Advice needed

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by nightangel, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Member

Hi guys,
    I guess i should start off by saying that yes, I am new at this site, and i hope i don't offend anyone with my post. i wanted to put it in this section, because i want advice from people who really KNOW what suicidal thoughts/feelings are like.

A person very close to me is suicidal. He's been suffering from depression his entire life, as far as i can gather. As he got older, the depression turned toward the worse, and he became suicidal. When i met him, i had no idea he was depressed. to me, he was just a cool guy, who i enjoyed hanging out with. He loves dirt biking, surfing... He just seemed like such a normal guy. When he told me how he felt, i was so shocked... i thought if i was just there for him, showed him how much he meant to me then that'd fix everything. while i've known him, he's been to therapy, and had antidepressants, and nothing seems to work.

Besides just being there for him, what can i do?
    And more importantly, what are the things I should NOT do?
    any feedback you guys can give me would be much appreciated
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Has your friend seen a professional? I do recommend you bring this up with him. Reading your post you sound like a good friend but I'd like to point out you should look after yourself too. As much as love and care for others, at times, it can be exhausting. Take time out for yourself and do things you enjoy and don't feel soley responsible for him. IF he does end up attempting to take his life - in no way is this your fault. Depression can be a killer.

All that aside, I came across this thread posted in the Links & Resources forum. I know it is aimed at replying to threads, but perhaps you could interpret and use it when helping your friend, too. Click

Here's a good site, too, with some useful info. Click

Take care of yourself, and welcome to SF. If you have any more questions or want to rant or anything at all, we're here.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Member

Thanks, it was reassuring to read what you had to say, and the links are helpful.

he has seen a therapist, but he didn't think it helped, and so he stopped going.... reading a couple of the treads on here, it seems to be the case with a lot of people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.