Advice on how to deal with Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by grey.eyes, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grey.eyes

grey.eyes New Member

Hey
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to get through a panic attack. I have major anxiety that is closely related to my depression and it is very crippling and occurs often. I have medication for it but I don't like to take it a lot because it is very addictive.
    Thanks,
    Grey

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

blowing in a paper bag helps....
    breathing deeply..remember to breath..
    My counselor tells me it's about using your thoughts to talk yourself out of it...positive thinking....
    tell yourself "I can and will get through it , I can handle it..it won't kill me," etc..
    i understand how scarey panic attacks are and I'm sorry you too have to deal with them....
    I had to resort to meds because mine were getting so bad....
    I hope you find something that helps...

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

slow your breathing down
    look at your surroundings see there is no danger the feeling will pass name it and say it is a panic attack it will pass im okay. Reach out to people friends around you okay let them know how your feeling. sit down so your safe and breath slow deep breaths

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

apart from trying to breathe, i just have to do the 'slowing down' in almost every part of my life,
    i have to sometimes force myself to sleep a lot it helps me relax and feel better generally.
    something to let out the fear, anything expressive, anything.
    self protection/self soothing- things that make you feel safe, for me it's all about showers/self care, eating properly, sleep, things warm/comforting.
    exercise (not when you're having a panic attack but i bet walking out agitation in the past has helped me not have a panic attack as it forced me to breathe deeply).

you could look up grounding techniques if you haven't already.
    if you use benzos responsibly, i found they are pretty amazing things on a low dose, i use them occasionally to rarely and i'm not addicted.
    maybe what i said is to do with severe anxiety generally, but once the underlying anxiety is managed, i would imagine panic attacks would be less frequent.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Idk I just try to remind myself to calm down and that I'm not dying. Take the time to just breathe properly and relax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.