Advice on quitting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PiecesMended, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

I've been self-harming for a few years and every now and then I try and stop but I never seem to be able to. Last time I threw out what I would usually use to cut myself but I still burned myself with my lighter, which led me to decide to quit smoking which I'm doing well with, I havn't had one in about three months!:smile:
    Anyway I want to try and stop again. How can I? Everytime I've tried to stop completely I've been more agitated than normal and have slipped up. So I won't be trying that again. Any Advice?
  2. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

Have you tried a therapist? A lot of times if you find yourself unable to quit after multiple tries, therapy might be useful. Especially if you don't know why you cut. They might be able to help you find out why and help you find a better way of coping or expression other than cutting.

Best of Luck :hug:
  3. PiecesMended

Thank you. I do go to therapy but as always I don't know how to bring it up with her. I was going to today at the appointment but my mum has seen that I've been on this site and that took over the entire thing. After all this I don't want my mum to know I self harm too. I think I've fianaly figured out why I started cutting but I have no interaction with the cause anymore. I do need a better outlet though.
  4. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

I def. understand you with the mom thing... Sometimes parents just don't understand.

Some useful methods for letting things out could be as simple as writing like a journal or something, or working out. Try to take up a hobby like drawing or pottery. Anything that distracts your mind.
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Can't help with this... :sad:

But congratulations on quitting smoking. That's one thing you beat.
  6. PiecesMended

Thank you for the congrats, You're the only person who's ever said that :smile:
  7. dirtyLife

dirtyLife Member

...sorry I have no advice...i'm in the same's like a vicious cycle..........i try so hard to give it up. I have scars over my whole body now.
  8. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

One thing I have found that kinda works is distraction. It can be anything, walk a dog if you have one, chat with friends, chat online, video games work well, etc. just something other than focusing on self harm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.