advice please

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by onyxangel, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onyxangel

    onyxangel Member

    i just started going back to therapy recently and one of my biggest problems is i am still having nightmares about being raped by some one close to me over 10 years ago. I do not want to get this person in any type of trouble. i have come to terms of what happened and i have forgiven the person. It is in the past and there is nothing i can do to change what happened. I just need some help trying to figure out a way to go about telling my therapist about this with out getting the person in any type of trouble. seeing him behind bars now after the fact wouldnt help my current depression any.
  2. snowraven

    snowraven Well-Known Member

    In forgiving this person I think you are showing great compassion which is an admirable quality. It shows great strength in you. Is there no way you can tell your therapist about it without revealing who the person actually is. I would have thought that simply saying it was someone very close to you would suffice. Hope you can work a way round it because if you are still having nightmares about it then it's probably something your therapist could help you with. Best wishes.S.:smile:
  3. onyxangel

    onyxangel Member

    Thanks snow, and yes i guess the fact that i have forgiven this person and still talk to them. does make me a bigger person then he is. doesn't mean i have to forget. I just think being able to tell her that it was my older brother, would help me deal with it better then just saying some one close to me. that way she could help me confront the situation in a calm respectable easy manner. yea i know there is no easy way around this. and i tell who he is here because i dont really have to worry about being judged here
  4. Emptysoul

    Emptysoul Well-Known Member

    when you speak to your therapist just say to them that you dont want to say who the person how attacked you is. They cant force you to tell them and they should respect your wishes. If they try and force you it meanss that they arn't too good at their job and you could report them if you felt so like it.
    It sounds that with you having being able to forgive this person that you are further along the road to recovery than you appear to admit
  5. onyxangel

    onyxangel Member

    I dont know which part i fail to admit. i dont know if i have fully forgiven him. or if i havent all i know is that i once again having nightmares about what happened.
  6. snowraven

    snowraven Well-Known Member

    Perhaps you could just tell your therapist that it was a very close family member. They should be able to understand the consequences of such an experience without you having to actually state that it was your brother. Best of luck.
  7. Oak

    Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

    Hun its not a police investigation but a therapist. All the therapist needs to know is that it is a close family member that you still see and cant avoid. State to your therapist that you have forgiven the person, not forgotten, nd that the nightmares of it have come back. You need not to add a word to this. That is all she needs to know in order to help you sort your feelings.
    good luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.