Advice wanted for how to keep above water...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Ive been feeling pretty good for the last year now, which is fantastic news. But about a month ago I started university and I feel im recending to where i was a couple of years back, which is really really worrying me.

The problem i believe is that I do not have any time left to enjoy myself. I attribute this to uni. I am a methodical and thorough learner and Uni just goes way to fast for me. This sucks. right now I either am
    1. at uni
    2. studying for uni
    3. at job 1
    3. at job 2
    5 in transit trying to get to uni, job 1, job 2.

Anyone developed any strategies to get around this?
  2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

trying to find a better paid job1 and skip job2 ? is that an option ?
  3. Justsolost

Justsolost Well-Known Member

Hey, university can be a very tough adjustment for people. It sounds like you need to adapt your study habits to save some time. Learn how to do the following:

1. Focus on what's important. In many classes, only select details are relevant, and in virtually any class you'll find there's plenty of extraneous information. Learn to identify and ignore what you don't really need to know. You will NEVER be able to remember EVERYTHING, but neither will your classmates!

2. Study for tests effectively. In most classes, exams make up most if not all of your grade, so learn time-efficient study methods for 'cramming' for exams. Flashcards work well for many people; go over them dozens of times in the hours leading up to your exams.

3. Try and pick a field you love! There were times that I'd have to go over a month with almost no free time at all, but I was taking classes I was interested in (for the most part) which really helps lessen the burden.

I was a very successful student in university, but it definitely took me awhile to properly adjust to the academic pace there.
  4. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Maybe find a job closer to Uni or ur home for less travel time...I would think the chance of u burnong out r pretty high if u dont get some personal time and enjoy life...sorry im not very good at giving advice :(
  5. masive

masive Banned Member

Sit down and convert your days and hours in to blocks.

5 day week working on a 60 block.

Uni takes up 20 blocks
    work takes up 20 blocks

Get the diffet

Cut out what you don't need and have some me time. Use weekends.. Getting rid of a job and finding one closer is a good one someone posted that will or could give you an extra 1-3 blocks a week.

Hope this helps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.