Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Firespirit3, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firespirit3

Firespirit3 Member

I know that many of you have had professional help, seen therapists and I want to know if it is worth it? Does it actually help?

I have wondered about this for a while and I have a hard time believing it will help. I know I would have a hard time opening up and trusting them. But I also know that I can't get through all of this alone and it's getting to the point where I really need to decide. And I doubt it would be worth it to seek help..
  2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I absolutely think it is worth trying. Therapy can be very helpful to many people. I once went to a therapist who helped me when nothing else could have. I have gotten help from other therapists over the years. Highly recommended, as far as I am concerned.
  3. listless

listless Banned Member

I had therapy once for depression, I don't know if it helped because I just talked for the full hour and my therapist said very little. I didn't tell her I was suicidal, just depressed...anyways after 10 sessions I felt I was getting nothing out of it and quit and got over the depression on my own. Still feel suicidal but I try not to dwell on it too much and I get on with life.
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

There is no full answer for that, Firespirit3. It is both a yes, and a no... and it has too many variable attributes that it depends upon. In theory, if all the ingredients are right, then yes it would be worth it. Unfortunately, therapists are only human and as with any occupation, there are good ones and bad ones. That said, you can beat that issue by "shopping" until you get the right one. So, 1/2 of the equation is THEM. The next major contribution to success is how you approach it... so that is the other 1/2. As much as they put into this, you (the client) need to put as much effort too. WAY TOO OFTEN I read or hear people saying that they don't tell their therapist everything. That's bad. That is like having a car that starts to backfire when you reach 30 MPH and taking it to the shop and not telling them that fact but asking them to fix it. You only get out of therapy what you put into it. Establishing a good relationship with your therapist of respect and trust is the key to success. Don't expect them to become your friend, that does not help. They must remain objective, but caring, and you must accept their advice and follow their direction. These are just my thoughts on having observed many situations, many therapists, many doctor visits, and many different patient/clients. Finally, remember too that therapy is not a quick fix solution... it takes time. Medications are often used to stabilize so that the time required for therapy can be experienced.
  5. fredrickguy

fredrickguy New Member

I agree with pickwithaustin above - you get out of therapy what you put into it - and you have to tell them everything. That said, as in all things, there are good therapists (who truly care, listen, empathize, and understand) and those who just go through the motions. If your therapist isn't helping, and you have done your part, then find another one. A therapist cannot fix your problems, but they can help you see things from differing perspectives and having someone to talk to, even if you are paying them, can in itself be a huge relief. Please do make the effort to seek help, life can (and will) be better than it is today.
  6. exkend

exkend Well-Known Member

I've been in therapy for a very long time. My father was a psycho-therapist and I read a great deal about the subject and related subject matter. The short answer is no. However it all depends on you, your problems and the structure you have around you, ie family, friends, job etc. There are many types of therapy so finding what suits you can be a task in itself. A therapist will ultimately be a sound board for you to express yourself and for them to direct you to what they think you cannot see. Myself I have found humanistic therapy the most useful, in the sense that I have a caring person who wishes to engage with me for fifty minutes. I wish you the best.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.