Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by prophetbirds, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prophetbirds

prophetbirds Well-Known Member

I've been self-harming for a while now, and my parents know that I've done it before, but they don't know that I continue to do it.

This wouldn't be a problem normally, because I've gotten pretty good at hiding it, but I have a dilemma:

They've scheduled my yearly physical for next week, and I've got brand new cuts on my legs and hips that aren't going to heal by then.

Is my doctor obligated by law to tell my parents, or what? I'm really frightened of what they might do if they find out I've been cutting again.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Depends how old you are hun If you are ove 16 then your records are confidential Do you think talking to your parents would help though to get you the support you need to stop the self harm I think they would just want to help you hugs
  3. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

In the US, it's over 13 for it to keep confidential. Even if your parents ask your doctor about it, your doctor legally can't tell them unless you say they can.
    Well, at least that's what happened for me! Hope it helps, I totally get that physicals, when you're dealing with self harm, are really stressful. :hug:
  4. prophetbirds

Thank you so much for responding. I'm 15, so I should be fine. I'm trying to quit on my own, but if my parents knew it would do more harm than good.
  5. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

I'm 15 too! Just be up front with your doctor about saying you don't want your parents to know, I made that mistake and she told my mom. Awkward...
  6. prophetbirds

Very nice to meet you! It's always lovely to meet someone my own age.

And oh, I'm so sorry. That must have been awful.

I think that my doctor knows that I self harm, I mean, I've come in with scars on my arms before, but these cuts are pretty new, and I just don't want to go through telling my parents and going into daily therapy again.
  7. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

Ya if ur 15 you are good. My doctor dosent know but his nurses know. They scold and frown when they see my arms and legs, but they can't say anything thankfully. I am 16. I got a therapist about a year ago. I see her every other week. I will recommend it if you can it has really helped me. Daily would not be my thing though I understand that.
  8. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I have cuts on my legs but my doctor has never seen them. It guess it depends on what they do in the physical.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.