Afraid my life is meaningless.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by dvnj22, Mar 13, 2013.

1. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I'm so afraid my life is meaningless and purposeless. I've been doing reassuring on the subject but I don't know. The most depressing thing is when I hear people say that the meaning of life is survival and propagate your genes, I don't even want kids! Others say to live life to the fullest and just experiment with sex, drugs, and other sensory pleasure. I just don't know. Right now my goals are to get a job to support myself, but my real goals are to progress as a human, I want to practice compassion, love to my fellow man, constent peace of mind, improve myself morally, and be joyful - free of anxiety. Also im not talking about the noble peace prize ether. I have an idea of honor based on love and compassion, too where i can do this in my everyday life. Theres also many people bring there darkness into the world, i would like to bring some light into it, I'm not a perfect. Man, but i think am a good one. I won't get rich over this, but its something I want to do. But I'm afraid that maybe I'm wrong and my life is just a big wast of time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Just because things are a certain way, like everyone is having kids, going out and partying, etc. certainly doesn't mean you need to follow suit. You say that you want to make the world a better place, and that's a great thing. I would definitely say your life isn't meaningless. Just keep doing whatever you enjoy in life and don't compare yourself to others, or try to measure up to them. Do what will make you happy.
  3. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I remember as a boy the mentors I knew in my congregation, and how I wanted to be like them. it wasn't about anything they owned, in fact they were humble materially -- the way they treated people, there integrity, and kindness is what I remembered. Sometimes I get disillusioned, and lose my path. But I know that still want to be like that.
  4. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I also have been reading about a lot about Darwinism, and it makes me feel worthless that I don't want to propagate my genes.
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think each person determines the purpose of his/her life...showing compassion is a perfect goal and does not require any more time or practice...while you are waiting to find a job is there any volunteer work you can do? There are volunteer opportunities that are also online if you cannot go to a place IRL
  6. dvnj22

dvnj22 Well-Known Member

I volunteer in my congregation, but this summer I'm going to try and volunteer at the local animal shelter.