Afraid to sleep, but tired of today.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Pierce2011, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Pierce2011

Pierce2011 Member

Hi. I'm not quite sure how this works, but for the last few months, I've had insomnia. Not because I don't want to sleep. Because I do. I want nothing more for today to be over. But I find myself being terrified that tomorrow won't be better. That it'll end up either the same as today, which was a struggle per usual, or that it'll be worse and I'll fall deeper down the rabbit hole of depression and hopelessness.

Anyone else have this issue? I feel like I'm caught between the hope that tomorrow will be better, but terrified of the disappointment that it won't be.

2. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

Hey Girl

If you want to make tomorrow better than you work at making today better. Try to find a project you can start and work everyday on that project and you will feel like you are accomplishing something. Like something to corral your kittens so they will be safe?

Maybe get some meds from a psychiatrist to help you sleep?

Take care

3. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Insomnia can be caused by so many different things, its freakin scary. I have been fighting with it for about 4 months now and I understand now why its a torture technique. With a lack of sleep, your mind plays tricks on you, plays games with you and your thinking just becomes totally incoherent. Depression just makes it worse or the insomnia can be caused by the depression, so it slowly becomes a cycle that is difficult to break.

Have you seen a dcotor at all about some medication to help you sleep? There are lots of different things you can do to help you sleep, but its finding what helps and works for you. It would take all day to write it all here. I find I need to relax, so I turn off my laptop, the tv, all music and stop reading anything. I just sit for 10 minutes and stare at the floor. Some prefer to close their eyes, I dont. I then just concentrate on my breathing. If I feel my mind wandering, I start counting my breaths and that helps bring me back to just thinking about breathing. Its taken some work to be able to do it and it doesn't work all the time, but it helps. I make sure everything I need to do, like bathroom and teeth are done, then I can just go straight to bed.

Warm drinks help some people. Reading helps others. But the most important thing is, to get into good routines around bedtime. So if/when you find something that works for you, try to build a routine around it that you follow every night.

4. SinisterKid

Insomnia can be caused by so many different things, its freakin scary. I have been fighting with it for about 4 months now and I understand now why its a torture technique. With a lack of sleep, your mind plays tricks on you, plays games with you and your thinking just becomes totally incoherent. Depression just makes it worse or the insomnia can be caused by the depression, so it slowly becomes a cycle that is difficult to break.

Have you seen a dcotor at all about some medication to help you sleep? There are lots of different things you can do to help you sleep, but its finding what helps and works for you. It would take all day to write it all here. I find I need to relax, so I turn off my laptop, the tv, all music and stop reading anything. I just sit for 10 minutes and stare at the floor. Some prefer to close their eyes, I dont. I then just concentrate on my breathing. If I feel my mind wandering, I start counting my breaths and that helps bring me back to just thinking about breathing. Its taken some work to be able to do it and it doesn't work all the time, but it helps. I make sure everything I need to do, like bathroom and teeth are done, then I can just go straight to bed.

Warm drinks help some people. Reading helps others. But the most important thing is, to get into good routines around bedtime. So if/when you find something that works for you, try to build a routine around it that you follow every night.

5. SinisterKid