Afraid to Sleep

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aissela, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aissela

Aissela Well-Known Member

So I've usually been a good sleeper. I've never had to take any sleeping pills or PM meds to help me sleep. Regardless of how my day was, once I hit the bed, I was asleep. I never had to think much of it, I loved it! Sleeping felt great. It helped me get out the next morning feeling energized.

Things have changed now. I have inexplicably become afraid of falling asleep. This has nothing to do with being afraid of dying in my sleep or anything like that. Actually, what this is all about, is about being afraid that I'll wake up blind. YES, I know this makes no sense. For almost 21 years of my life, I've been able to go to sleep and wake up perfectly fine, eye sight in tact. I have never woken up without being able to see. I have never woken up thinking I'd gone blind. I do not have any problems with my eye sight whatsoever really. So really I have no idea where this fear is coming from. To rule out other possibilities, I have not seen or read anything about blindness or sleep disorders or anything of that sort that could've sparked this fear.

This is causing me to stay up way late (it's 3:30am and I used to be the type who'd go to sleep at much more reasonable hours). I'm up around 9am every day to horseback ride, volunteer, etc. And no matter how tiring my day has been, when it comes to nighttime, I am paralyzed with fear about sleeping. I strain my eyes to stay awake for as long as possible, even long after I've turned the lights off (I've even tried keeping the lights on all night but it doesn't make a difference as per my fear either way). I find myself obsessing about blindness and doing all it takes to keep my eyes open. Obviously, there comes a point where I haven't slept in two days and I can't help it anymore and then I *do* fall asleep. I wake up the next morning perfectly fine. The horror is, that then the next time I try to fall asleep (even though I remind myself that nothing will happen), my brain goes ape sh!t and I start thinking that I just WILL go blind all over again. The cycle repeats itself.

I've googled everything to calm myself-- The chances of me going blind overnight are ridiculously small.

Summary: I'm afraid to go to sleep because I fear I'll wake up blind. My lack of sleep is affecting my ability to be energized all day and fulfill my day-to-day routine.

Question: HAS ANYONE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE? Someone please tell me I haven't gone completely crazy. :confused:
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you are struggling so much. I have no experienced that fear, but do struggle with fear and anxiety surrounding getting to sleep (I get anxious that I might get anxious about going to sleep, which is just ridiculously stupid) so can relate to some of what you are struggling with.

I woud think that seeing a doctor would be a good thing to do because they can go a lot to help people with fears and things like that.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

almost like an obsessive compulsive thought with you i think telling your doctor abt this you will get somehelp maybe to deal it with. It must be so hard for yu having this fear talk to your doctor okay see what can be done to help you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.