afraid

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by mellie, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellie

mellie Member

I dont really know what to do about the hopelessness I've been feeling. I've had this problem for many years now, and have mainly dealt with it on my own, however the last few bouts I've had have been really bad, and in the last instance I saw a counsellor who recomended i see a doctor because she felt I was suffering from depression.
    however, I do not wish to see a doctor. and I dont want to know if i have depression or some other disorder. i basically dont want to be on pills or let my family know whats going on with me or how im feeling. I'm finding it difficult enough to deal with home and other people as it is
    I guess i just dont know what to do. I normally deal with how im feeling with alcohol but lately, its been worst. and i dont want to burden the people i know with my own personal issues
    does anyone have any insight into my issues?

2. i cant offer any insight:unsure:

but i can tell you from experience (what little i have) that posting on SF is a huge help, so much support

dont feel left out if you get a thousand views and just this reply, everyone here is supporting each other even if they dont know how to say it :biggrin:

reply to a few threads and start another...it helps:wink:

3. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Melanie, I reckon you have done the best thing you could to find the help and support you need and that was when you joined us all here. This site has done more for me than any doctor or pills ever did. Talking with others who are in a similar situation is a great help. People who can show understanding without judgement are a big help. Best wishes. S.:smile:

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Self medicating with alcohol will actually make you feel worse, because it is a depressant.

If you got a diagnosis of depression then there is no need to go on medication unless you choose to. In terms of your family knowing, that would depend on your age and possibly the way insurance works with you, but there are other ways of getting support in 'real life' without getting the diagonsis. Seeing a counsellor again might be worth a try, or joining things like support groups.

The thing with professional help is that it can help you get to the root cause of your problems. A site like SF can provide a very valuable resource and support network, but people are not trained professionals. We can support yes, but not do much more than that.

If right now being on SF is what you need, then I truly hope it helps you, but try not to rule out other avenues of support and help because there are a lot of options around that can make a difference to us.

5. Ants

Ants Well-Known Member

Yea! What they said. I've only been here for a short while. I did not realize just how disconnected I was. No one who knows me would believe I am in the mental state that I am. I've been hanging here when I can. It does help.

6. mellie

mellie Member

thanks to everyone for your help, I'm glad i found a forum like this where i can vent out my issues and find like minded people who can emphathise without being judgmental.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.