after a failed OD

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by lonelysoul, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonelysoul

lonelysoul Member

i had one on Dec 24 and haven't been to the hospital
    because of fear of being put inside .

has anyone been to the hospital after one and what happened ?
    did you get put inside ?
  2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I ended up having a seizure as a result of an O.D. after a 24 hour stay in the ICU I spent four days at the mental hospital.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

sometimes the just give you charcoal and send you home depends if you sayyou are still suicdal or not take care
  4. Socialman

Socialman Well-Known Member

Everytime I OD, I just get ringing in my ears. I have completely given up ODs. I also tried one on the 24th.
  5. Ziva

Ziva Well-Known Member

I was taken to the hospital once after a failed overdose because it turned into a seizure. I was 12 years old at the time, and have been epileptic all my life. Nobody knew that it was a suicide attempt, I never told anyone, so I wasn't put in a psychiatric ward after. I stayed for one night, then the next day went home.
  6. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

twice, they let me leave in 24 hours and put me on a waiting list for mental help
  7. ali 56

ali 56 Well-Known Member

After an OD at the hospital they usually check your bloods to check if you need to be admitted, they also ask if you still feel suicidal, I have always said no so I do not know of the consequences of saying yes. You can go to an A and E depatment anytime after an OD if you feel unwell, I have left it a few days before now. Hope you feel OK now.
    Kind regards Ali.
  8. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

Hello, If you take an overdose then went to hospital, you will either get given charcoal to drink, or have your stomach pumped. The charcoal absorbs the chemicals you have taken so they don't get into your body. Apparently it doesn't taste very nice. Stomach pumping involves taking your stomach contents out.

You will probably be kept in hospital for a while until you recover. If you seem very upset still, they may offer to send you to a psychiatric unit. If you seem a danger to yourself, they can send you even if you say no, but this is a last resort.

I'm worried about you. I hope you haven't taken an overdose, you have a reason to live and people care. I care.
    If you are in the USA, you can call 1800SUICIDE to talk to someone about how you are feeling.

If you are in the UK, you can call the Samaritans.

If you haven't taken an overdose right now, I think the fact you are worried about the consequences means you don't really want to die. This is a good thing. I hope it stays that way :)
  9. lonelysoul

lonelysoul Member

i drank charcoal before it wasn't so bad
    today my body feel great and back to normal
    i am totally happy and try my best to give up on suicide
    which will be hard since i lived with these feelings for so long

its a new year and i feel i do want to live :)

i still think about going to the hospital
    i feel totally fine now but who knows if these pills can in the long run
    really harm your body

Today is a new day and life is good !
  10. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

I am very happy you are thinking positively about your future that a big step to take you are right it is a new year a year to start fresh, remember you will have our support to support you no matter what :hug:
  11. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

about this time last year i had an od and was admitted to hospital and put on a 72 hour stay involuntary and it was horrible it was like being in a prison being held against your will i got out after the 3 days though not nice, i hope you never have to experience what i did
  12. I od'ed three times. All three landed me in the ER. My first time I told the doctors that it was a mistake, I only wanted to get high. The second time I was found unconscious with my arms all cut up. The ambulance was called, I was so horribly depressed I had no choice and I was sectioned for evaluation. That stay lasted two weeks. It wasn't horrible, scary but not bad. I've been hospitalized four times since then and it was exactly where I needed to be.
  13. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

i tried an od in august i'm told i spent 3 days in the hospital but i don't remember any of it. the next thing i remember is going to the psych hospital where i also spent 3 day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.