After an attempted suicide - effects on therapist

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an attempted suicide, I feel guilty and feel like ive let down my therapist. He is such a good therapist and really tried to help me. The guilt and other feelings are not going away...the day before my attempt, i did tell him i was suicidal...had things to do it with...but said id keep myself safe...day after, i attempt. i knew deep down i wouldnt be safe...but was scared :(

ive seen him twice since. the first time after i had attempted was horriblly weird.

i just would like to know what therapists go through when a client attempts suicide when they have expressed they were suicidal?

thjanks

GaiaMischief

Can say with confidence that he doesn't blame you for what happened. There's no reason to feel guilty, it's his job to help you.

I am not saying therapists don't feel pretty shocked when one of their clients attempts, but the last thing they do is hold the person who attempted to blame. It's their job to help you, they want to see you happy.

Also, don't feel guilty for not telling him. Believe me, therapists understand that people don't want them calling their loved ones warning and scaring them, which is what they're obliged to do if you ever tell them you feel like you're going to attempt. Unless the guy's a total asshole, I think he understands this.

downunder

I once told a work doctor that I wasn't going to do it after she made me tell her, I then did an attempt about 3 hours later, in my note I apologised to her.

ItThing

I think you show great consideration for the people you ask help from :). I'm sure your therapist is happy that you keep coming to him, that's a great way to show thanks if you feel guilty about what happened (although I agree with GaiaMischeif that you shouldn't).

Summer.Rain

My therapist didnt even knew... i was in the hospital, same hospital she (the therapist) work at, and she didnt knew... that was after i ODed
there were police came to see me (to check that it was indeed a sefl harm)
after that the hospital pshychtriest came to see me, he didnt do anything
he just asked me to talk with therapist as soon as possible...

x

Although it may seem like Doctors and occasionally therapists don’t care, the reality is they do. In my country, the UK, female doctors are one of the most at risk groups of committing suicide. Studies have demonstrated this in part due to the fact that female doctors in particular, form emotional bonds with patients suffering from depression and take it to hart when their patients commit suicide. (ill post a link to a BBC article on this subject as soon as I can find it).

While I have no doubt that your doctor does not blame you in anyway for what happened, the truth is your doctor does care about you and would have been genuinely concerned for your well being when you OD.

Fortunately you, and others like you, who have survived suicide attempts have the chance to heal both your own pain and the pain of your doctor. By working with your doctor you can defeat your troubles saving you both much emotional pain and distress.

EDIT
here is the link....

Women medics face 'higher suicide risk'

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the others have said, your therapist will not blame you for attempting. i have talked to mine about this very subject. Although she has said it would effect her greatly because she cares, she would not blame me for attempting or suiciding.

LenaLunacy

I am sure that your therapist does not blame you and understands. It is their job to help you so of course it would sadden them that you had felt you needed to do this. But as i said,t hey will understand and continue to be supportive and be there for you. Don't feel guilty about it :hug:

pinkpetals33

From what I have heard and read, therapist fear having a patient attempt or commit suicide. They start to question themselves of what they could have done or what they didn't do...

My former therapist, after my attempt, could not really talk to me. It was the weirdest feeling....I felt invisible at my session and he seemed unsure of what to say......I mean, what can you really say to someone who was willing to do away with themselves. I point blanked asked him why he all of a sudden became so mute. Like has told me before, he is afraid of pushing me away. His own fear was surfacing....

Sometimes, silence is enough.

downunder

I was seeing a counsellor and made numerous attempts whilst seeing her, probably around 5. I don't think she noted them all down because when I went to see the lady who was taking over from her she only mentioned 2. I didn't really want to ask "which two?".

This counsellor rarely asked me about suicidal thoughts maybe she didn't want to know the answer. I did ask her if they had had anyone who had been there for counselling die and she said no.

This psych I am seeing does ask me about the thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00