after care.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by wheresmysheep, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I'm just wondering about after care, ok th posts made alread have very good tips, but i'm wondering if you dont have access to a bandage, what would you use? cause i'm very worried about blood seeping through to my clotes, let alone it get stuck to the clothes.
    Thanks in advance

oh and dont say tissue :laugh:
    i mean a steady makeshift bandage that will stay on for a while.

2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you have medical tape, but medical tape and paper towels work, usually.

3. wheresmysheep

that makes sense :dry:

shuddup

4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Hi Em.

Here's my regiment.

1. Right after the cut(s) : Look at myself in the mirror - scope out how the new cuts look; then shower. The shower cleans out the cuts and also provides wonderful stinging after sensations.

2. If cut is deep: I stuff toilet paper against the cut, then without a bandage wrap a sock around my wrist. Since most deep self-injury wounds are still superficial, the pressure will cut blood flow, and you don't have to worry about seepage.

If the cut is shallow: The platelets will scab over the cut within four -five minutes. So just leave the wound open to the air - if it's on your legs/ chest, or shoulders stay naked for a while after the shower in your room *or house if you're brave :)* .

3. With the cuts scabing over, you're free to dress as you will. Any clothing put on 12 hours of the cut will have a slight redish tinge. So wear dark clothing, or, as I do, have a bleeding outfit. That is a pair of thin pants or undershirts that are worn to absorb whatever blood there is.

Things to substitute bandages:

old clothing

napkins

toilet paper

old towels

But remember that cuts heal most quickly when left to breath the open air.

:hug:

Hope something in that was useful to you.

James.

5. wheresmysheep

oook really stupid Q
    What classed as a deep cut and whats not.. cause the therapist asked today.. and i said they werent deep.
    but now reading this, they might be considered deep
    like they still havent scabbed over, and it took about 30mins for bleeding to stop, but it terms of a measurement of depth i dont think its that bad :unsure:

6. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I think you can generally tell if a cut is deep or not. I normally make shallow cuts that barely bleed.. so if there's more blood than usual and it takes longer to stop I know it's deeper that usual. Like one of the ones from my session last night.

If they took over 30mins to stop bleeding I would say they were deep. . . but that's just me basing it on my personal experience.

I don't have much experience dealing with deep cuts as I favour shallow ones.. they heal quicker which means I can cut again in that area sooner. Plus I find them easier to hide, less risk of blood being spotted on my clothes, which is a risk for me as my aunt does all my washing.

Luckily I wear mostly dark clothes.

7. wheresmysheep

see, you say usually,
    well these cuts are my usual ones. and i dont have anyone to compare too. so i dont know what to class them as in regards to what other people do. in my opinion they're shallow, but your saying that for them to be stop bleeding 30mins later is deep, so my shallow is deep to you..
    if you get me :unsure:

8. Buggsy2008

Yes I understand lol. I think your shallow would be considered deep generally for taking that long.. but saying that I only have my own experiences to go on as all this talking about it is new to me.

9. wheresmysheep

understandable, its the same for myself.
    it was just playing on my mind since the therapist asked.. maybe i'm doing worse to myself than i realise.

10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

A deep cut is any cut that a doctor would recomend stiches. A cut into the vein is deep. A cut that goes through the skin and into the fat and muscle underneath is considered deep.

Anything that doesn't go through the skin is a shallow cut.

11. wheresmysheep

lol i'm still confussed.. it goes through the skin, when it heals its not an serface scab it scabs between the two bits of skin (if that makes sense) and then they kinda make new skin between the cut..

maybe it is deep.

so slow :laugh:

12. Buggsy2008

An easy way to tell if it would need stitches is to press the cut together with your fingers.. if the sides meet they wont need stitches, if they dont meet then they will.

I was told that when i had to have stitches in mine once.

13. wheresmysheep

ah ok, i will keep that in mind for the future. :smile:
    thanks for the help.
    now if you can free me of my mother in law........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.