After Death (organ donation, funeral...)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aoeu, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, so, after you die, what do you want to happen?

Organ donation if possible?

Cremation or burial?

Open or closed casket (or no casket at all if the burial/cremation is before it)?

It's important that you discuss all of this with your family, for both your death and theirs. It's also important that you sign your donor card.

(I'm doing donation, cremation, closed/no casket. My earthly shell deserves no respect once my being is out of it.)

2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Organs donated if possible (I would like to keep my eyes untouched, though)
    Cremation, but I wanna have a gravestone

3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I'm keeping my eyes! < they are the window to your soul, you know? XD It wouldn't be right for someone else to have them...
    Everything else can be donated; although I've got horrible skin and a high chance of lung, throat, tongue and brain cancer; based on my family history.
    Whatever is good enough can be given to people who need 'em, though!

My family members usually hold wakes; rather than a saddish funeral... so I guess I would like that for my family if they insisted on doing something. -__-
    I'd like to be cremated and have an urn placed in the family plot. (yes, my family has a plot. lol- it's basically an old scary cave! the past 5 generations have been buried there, and before then- they were buried back in their home country)

I joke all the time about making my family members wear little urns with bits of my ashes around their necks-- or getting myself stuffed and sitting on the couch XD

I don't have a will-- but I also have zero assets; so it's not like I need a list of what to give to people.
    Whoever wants my junk can have it-- or it can be donated to charity. Either way, I don't really care.
    If I die before my cat though; I'd like for her to be sent to my dad's house, since he's in the middle of nowhere and she could finally become an indoor/outdoor cat again. She would like that.

That's it!

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Do you have your donor cards signed and families specifically in the know about your wishes (in countries where donation isn't automatic barring opt-out)? "

Also, as to the eyes, they only harvest the corneas at most... I don't take any issue with them taking my eyes, though. They served me well in life but will just rot in death

:(

5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

My mom's known for years that I'm okay with organ donation. Everyone in my family does it- so it's completely normal. My card was signed once I was of age; and any time I go to the hospital I'm asked to confirm by registration nurses- that my donation card is current... and I haven't changed my mind or something... lol
    I guess some people do.

I know that only the corneas are used when eyes are donated, but I see eyes as more of a spiritual part of your physical body than any other part.
    I've believed that since I was a child, so I feel that it's only right for me to keep them to myself.

6. 41021

41021 Banned Member

they won't take my blood
    they won't take my organs
    cremated.
    already have papers and people lined up
    my ashes return to the desert and become part of the sand

ugh

**tears**

i so miss the desert

i could leave right now and in short time become one with...

7. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

just want to be cremated and scattered somewhere - don't care where

don't want to be linked with an expensive plot of ground that nobody will visit and then feel guilty for not doing so

told them if want me in a permanent location they can send my ashes to this company that can turn them into a kind of diamond and mount in ring or something (that usually shuts them up)

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

i dont really care, but im glad some do

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you don't care, you should sign your card. Takes a second, could save several lives.

And, by the way, Canada is particularly embarrassing in this realm: we have the lowest organ donation rate in developed countries other than Japan, where it's seen as inappropriate.

10. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

see thats the thing, you dont get it. I dont care :) but like I said, I am really glad others do, its important. Especially for those who need it, and vice verca.

11. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Organ donor, cremated, no memorial.

I should get a will. My mother knows about my wishes, but if the time comes, and she is emotional, she could easily renege on the deal.

12. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I want to be a donor, if possible. I signed a paper and have the donor thing on my picture ID. I believe I'd choose cremation.

13. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I should have everything fine. I want that worms eat my brains and I rotten slowly. Paperwork has already done. And I am damn happy I do not ever have to go to school again!

14. Darc

Darc Well-Known Member

Cremation at any rate. Then someone can get rid of the ashes somewhere, so there'll be nothing left of me...I don't care about anything else. Gonna put this in my last will.

15. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Organ donation and then Cremated. Obviously the cause of death determines whether organs can be donated (OD, trauma etc).

16. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

As a chronic intravenous drug user (despite the fact I have no blood borne infections like HIV or Hep C, and no infections of any kind like STDs or whatever) they won't take my blood. Not sure on organs but they're welcome to anything that still works. They can use my body for science/medical school etc, but if I decide on that I plan to arrange it ahead of time, may as well get some money now for something i wont need when I'm dead, no?
    Not suicidal anymore so i think i will outlive my family members (unless i end up with a wife and kids) but right now all i have for family is two 72 year old parents and a 76 year old aunt in bad health.
    So, I'm hoping that my eventual wife and kids (or girlfriend and kids) get together with my friends, have whats left of me cremated, scatter me in the Blue Ridge Mountains and then throw a 3 day Irish style wake, no sadness, just partying in my name, get as fucked up as possible, get laid, do whatever, but do it in my name, and consecrate it, always, unto me.

17. AtomicsAsylum

AtomicsAsylum Account Closed

they can take my blood and my organs apart from my eyes
    i would like to be cremated
    but no flowers at the funeral instead money donated to an animal charity

18. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

Wow. I have none of this planned.

I need to get on it.

19. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have no spiritual beliefs so I know it is irrationally selfish but I want my body minimally touched or prepared. I am sure it comes from being violated emotionally and sexually.

Prospect Mountain in the northeast United States is where I can absolutely say I felt the most blissful experiences in my entire life. I have asked those closest to me to have me cremated and spread all of my ashes on that mountain. This will probably never happen because my aunt was supposed to spread my uncle's ashes into Shinnecock Bay in eastern Long Island and they remain with her.

20. Theseus

Theseus Guest

Don't care. Burn it, bury it, fuck it, cook it, pillage it for organs, whatever. I'll be dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.