After Suicide???

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Auerbach, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auerbach

Auerbach Well-Known Member

After surviving two suicide attempts over the past two years there is this question that has me wondering. What would happen if I did go through with it and ended my life? There are a few reasons that I choose to keep living, one is my mother, I don’t want to hurt her or leave her, another is hope that things will change for the better and if they don’t then I guess I would just have to accept how much my life sucks and how much pain I am really in, which in that situation I really would want to kill myself. But the last thing that keeps me from not doing it is the one that torments me the most and scares me, and that is if there is an afterlife, if a “soul” really does exist and if so, what happens to our souls if we kill ourselves?

Some people say that suicides go to “hell” or purgatory, which I don’t believe in, that to me is more on a religious basis, but I also heard that suicides get stuck earth bound where their souls roam around for I don’t even know how long and they don’t realize they are dead, other people say that suicides go to a place where they experience more pain then they ever had on earth, a place of true solitary where nothing and no one can help you, that scares the shit out of me and makes me want to tough it out with my life. I always think back to the movie What Dreams May Come where the protagonist’s wife commits suicide and goes to this place of solitary confinement where she is not aware of the reality or what she has done.

I just want to hear your opinions on what you think happens to a suicide if there is such a thing as an afterlife and if you don’t believe in an afterlife that is fine too. I know a lot of people here contemplate suicide or even attempted like I have, but have you ever stopped and think about what may happen afterwards? It is enough for me to not want to kill myself even though I have been suffering more this past year than I remember feeling in a very long time.

2. islandification

islandification Well-Known Member

I've had that discussion with a friend a few times. My own view is that dead is dead, and that's the end of it. My friend disagrees, and insists that we will reincarnate in some way, in the same state of consciousness we had when we left, so we better do the best we can with the life we still have and not take any shortcuts. Neither of us will convince the other I am sure.

3. cancelMe

cancelMe Member

What Dreams may Come is a movie, written by people...

I'm pretty sure nothing happens when you die, just like all that time before you were born...you know?

our only purpose is to live long enough to reproduce...shocking but what other 'reasons' do we have. the universe is random. you can give anything meaning.

nothing is real...its nice to think earth is a training ground for something much better...this is everything, there is nothing after. purpose and meaning to your life makes you feel good like someone else cares.

life is but a dream....?

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Thats kinda depressing for me. Nothing to look forward to once I die.

5. cancelMe

cancelMe Member

i was thinking today...why people are so afraid to die and why its so scary...

is it cause there is nothing after death? nothing to look forward to, no future goals, no more memories.

6. Much afraid

Much afraid Well-Known Member

At the risk of being bombarded with opposing views and criticisms, I believe we have an opportunity to make a choice that determines what happens to us after we die. I think it is fairly cut and dried - one choice and we are separated from that which I think we are all searching for, and the opposite choice brings us to the only thing that will ever satisfy us and make us whole. Whether we die of old age, in an accident, from some blasted disease or by our own hand is not the issue. We will all die one day from some thing. That is a given. Where we end up - separated from our maker or held in His arms - is up to us to choose.

If we knock at His door, and accept His gift, we're in (just like the prodigal son who returned to his father's house and was greeted with love and acceptance.)

I think we mostly want to believe we are the captains of our own ships and actually, we are - we choose. I think we've all been wounded or broken by this life and we figure if a loving creator could let us be so wounded, so hurt, so broken, then to hell with Him. I will protect myself; NO one will ever hurt me again. I believe that, to the contrary, we are so very precious that our free will choice is most important. If we don't choose as adults to accept what we considered rational and true as children (many of us anyway) then He will honor our choice. If we do accept, we have the promise that after this life is done we will have eternity in a world that is as it was intended.

Do I think there is a heaven and a hell? Yeah, I think this life is a mild preview of what we may expect in "hell". I think hell will be an eternity of separation and woundedness and extreme loneliness. I think that heaven will be an eternity of connectedness, acceptance, and peace. I also think some of us are so very, very wounded and unable to battle through in this life. I think those are the ones who are held tightest by our maker when they get to Him. Are we meant to choose when our lives end? Probably not - emphatically no, actually. But I think if I ever do reach the point of despair and take my own life, I may rest assured that I've done the only thing I had to do for eternal life.

So, no judging, no hate, no guilt trips. Personal research, personal choice. Accept it or reject it. Free will choice.

7. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

After death, you finally find fairness. You are eternally the same as everyone else. No regrets, frustration or envy. Hell is being bound to a miserable existence to which you never consented and from which you are not permitted to depart until you have served your full sentence (i.e. died of natural causes).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.