Aftermath of the "end of the world"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Axiom, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Just a rant about the end of the world :tongue:

I don't particularly care about this tbh, but it's actually a very good real time example of how religion can blind people. Please believe, if you are Christian, Muslim, ect, I have the utmost respect for your beliefes. As long as they don't dictate or interfere in my life, or other people who don't choose the same path as yours. And also, that same respect goes both ways, as I won't go barging in and saying you are wrong.

But when people take a beliefe and create factual time frames and promote hope and fear for an agenda, using beliefe as the fore tool, then I actually do have a slight problem with it. Not much I can do about it, but it's very sad to see the people who are truly taken by these people who promote and encourage these "events".

In this instance, it's more or less harmless for the outside world. But for those inside this inner circle, some have really been taken. And it's sad as fuck to learn about. It's not that they have been duped, it's now the recovery process, both spiritually and internally, aswell as socially, in society and their religious circles that they have to contend with.

But to be honest, it has always been their choice to follow, and these are the consequences of their choices and actions. I hope that they can recover and learn to not follow in similar footsteps. And ffs I hope they don't fall into the "excuses" for why it didn't happen.

But what really get's me are the high end religous "leaders" who promote this shit. The "funding" for their campagins comes from the people who follow them. The main one in america is Harold Camping. He predicted the end of the world in 1994, and now again in 2011. His ministry and campaign apparently range over $10+ million.

So I donno, wtf the point of this thread is. I suppose it's just, i've posted alot of insults and shit about this stupid crap, and the reality is that, it's shit. And the aftermath is hilariously going to be horrible and mute. He'll have no true remorse and will be shielded by freedom of speech. Not saying that's wrong,.. but he is wrong, so very wrong. Anyhow, there's a few people in this article whom have given up their lives for this. So you can imagine how many that arent in the spotlight that have done similar based off of the "convictions" of this misguided person.

Anyhow... just a rant. This shit pisses me off. I laugh at the whole thing, because I know better. But it does piss me off when I look at the people who are suffering now because of it.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...-to-campings-may-21-rapture-prediction-50275/

2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It is so sad... to see people duped like this. For shame, Mr. Camping, for shame...

3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The minute I read that there were billboards, I wondered how much money went into them. But knowing that someone spent 140k on the campaign and Camping didn't bat an eye... for shame is right.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I see lawsuits, but wonder where the liability really lies here.

5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Camping can just walk away with all the money. There are no guarantees on things like the afterlife, so anything that they spent has been lost...

6. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

No.

We blind ourselves.

And because we can’t see it, the world places it in front of our physical eyes until we do see it.

Everything comes to help us move forward.

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

@ zzz Well, to each his own on that point. But I stand by my point that this is a religious blinding. Yes religion is just a tool, and yes the individual is the one who makes the choice to manipulate, and the choice to accept it.

If you want I can rephrase it. This is a real time example of how religion can be used as a tool to blind and manipulate peoples hopes and dreams for the purposes of luring vulnerable people into one mans/groups perception on life.

In anycase I think we both agree, just the wording needs tweaking.

@ Prinn Yeah, I can see lawsuits aswell, but to be honest, he has every right to preach his views, even if they are pure scare tactics. But he can evade this by saying it is his true belief and all he is doing is preaching his views on life. Where all these people are merely listening to his views, and making their own decisions, which in all accounts makes them accountable for their actions. Atleast that's how I can see it rolling. Idk, there might be some side track of accountability in there but I highly doubt it working without it stepping on freedom of expression.

@ Lightbeam It makes you wonder how much money he is actually sitting on now. I wonder if he'll even make a public apology or somehow contest the fact that the end of the world is never going to happen, and that god somehow mysterously postponed it or something.

@ SharkDogs I know eh.. I don't know how the guy can sleep considering his position in all of this. That is, if he even has come to terms with the reality of the situation. :(

8. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

As with all things with American Evangelism, they are not primarily interested in god, salvation or the bible - that's just tools they use. What they are really intested in is the dollar bill.

FamilyRadio have recorded assets valued at 72M$. This Rapture stunt cost them 10M$. Surpisingly, they asked the IRS for an extension for submitting a statement of finances dating to November 2011. Which to me shows the level of confidence in their own predictions and suggests the whole thing was a money-making stunt.

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." L. Ron Hubbard.

9. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Well, considering that he pulled a similar stunt in '94 (by what I've read around the net, anyway) it would seem it's not going to keep him up at night at all. But yeah, I, too, wonder where the liability lies here. I feel sorry for the people that lost so much money, but at the same time I do not. Because it was their decision to believe Camping was telling the truth.

10. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

What is really sad are the people who changed their lives due to the "rapture". The suicide hot lines placed more people on last night to help people with their disappointment. Yes Camping should be very ashamed of himself.

11. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Actually this is a real good reason for people to actually seek the truth and to read the bible for themselves with enlightenment from our creator himself. Rapture is not even biblical,(meaning it isn't even in the bible,) and the bible explains that no one knows the end of the world except our creator. So many people are being mislead in and out of religion, but I know for a fact one day everything will be made crystal clear. I turn to the source and I seek answers where I can relay on them, and that is through the bible and enlightenment of the spirit of Yah. Until people turn to him they will be mislead by every wild story they hear on any news cast for the rest of their brief lives.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  12. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Also it is sad, and frustrating to know that these people are being taken advantage of, but there is nothing stopping them from doing as I do and seek the answers for themselves. They carry the book to church, and they take it home and put it on their dressers. Or they reject the biggest half of the bible, and don't even read the half they embrace. All the answers are there and I have found them. What's stopping others from doing the same?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.