• We had a slight glitch and the forum deleted about 80 threads at random - we are restoring them currently but you may have had an alert saying your thread was deleted - please ignore this and do not be concerned. Thanks, Freya :)

Aging and Poverty

Angie

SF Yarn Addict
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I never really believed that I would live in poverty. Grand case of denial. The place I am living is full of seniors living in poverty. Many are here because they have no other choice. Its a sad place.

This apartment is better for me in many different ways and thats a good thing. I just didn't expect to be confronted with poverty in my life and the lives of those I meet here.

I need to write more on this but my thoughts are a bit jumbled tonight.

bobbob

SF Supporter
Im sorry things are hard atm Angie. If I wasnt the other side of the Atlantic I would for sure be round for a cup of tea this afternoon. Despite a slight distrust of what is called "tea" in the US!
Good, kind people end up in poverty and crooks live in mansions. Bad things happen to good people, things that they are not to blame for; like childhood trauma, illness, various losses. You are one of the kindest people I have met. I know kindness does not pay the bills. But it suggests that you have lived and are living a morally good and worthwhile life and making the world a better place.
There will be other good kind folk where you live Im sure and maybe will find some soulmates. The world I once thought of as compassionate and caring is I think unfair and unjust. But there is a good deal of compasion in it too and happiness to be found in unexpected places.
tc R

Angie

SF Yarn Addict
Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thanks @bobbob you are kind. I wrote that before the water started dripping on my bedroom ceiling. We were having a big thunderstorm, but I am not on the top floor, so I don't know what is wrong. I turned in a work order for it to be fixed, so I guess we will see. I feel terrible today. And I have to drive to next town to see pdoc.

SillyOldBear

So very tired of everything.
Staff Alumni
Sorry you find yourself in such a spot Angie. I figure my time will eventually come too, unless death precedes it. It is a real shame that anyone in this country has to live in poverty. While politicians, athletes and tv/movie stars have more money then some entire countries have. It really pisses me off. They are running a special on a local tv station tonight called "Seattle is Dying". It is about the homeless situation. They are everywhere. You can't go to downtown Seattle without running into their rat infested tent camps. The city should be ashamed. Hope you get your leaky roof fixed and find some new friends in the apartment.

mpk

Angie, I am sorry also for the situation. I have the same fear that when I can no longer provide for myself or have someone to help it will be the end. I know realistically that may or may not happen and I try not to worry about it but when it is so in your face these days it is tough not too.

I have the fear that I will end up in a nursing home but will be unable to pay for it. We don't have insurance for Long Term Care, and maybe we should have, but it in itself is expensive.

My mother was in Memory Care for several years, and it is so very expensive. Fortunately she had investments, etc., but if she hadn't, it would have bankrupted my brother and me.

GFS

Join the SF Revolution!
I have the fear that I will end up in a nursing home but will be unable to pay for it. We don't have insurance for Long Term Care, and maybe we should have, but it in itself is expensive.

My mother was in Memory Care for several years, and it is so very expensive. Fortunately she had investments, etc., but if she hadn't, it would have bankrupted my brother and me.
I feel you.
I'm not quite old (although I'm not quite young either). But my health is not really that good. And I always think to myself "If I'm not healthy now and haven't been when younger, how bad would it be when I'll get old?".
I can't really imagine myself 50 years old.

I guess we all have to manage it somehow.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00