aitheism VS christianity

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wheresmysheep, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

oh i found this i i simply love it.

christians at times claim that aitheist will rape, and abort and kill etc without batting an eyelid.

i give you http://www.atheistobserver.com/

and to quote my faourite line, which basically sums up the whole article:

ah just pure gold.

he then give a link to back up him up.

but yeah just wanted to share.

2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

:D

thanks for the link

3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I've done this whole song and dance quite often. Good to see someone else taking it upon them to spread a more realistic view of the atheist Joe the plumber.

4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

as in were not a unmoral, evi, spawn of the satan lot? :biggrin:

5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

"As people become more intelligent, they care less for preachers and more for teachers"- Robert G. Ingersoll.

6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I'm sure some atheists are, but most are decent people.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That's true for any belief system except ones that are like, defined to be undecent... I wish people would quit arguing about the whole thing. Believe what you want, and shut up about it. That's my thought. :)

8. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

good find there my friend, interesting read

9. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

To which I respond: http://xkcd.com/285/

Either way, it's a red herring. It's the same as saying "Stalin killed 20 million (I believe that's the correct number, but I could be wrong) and Mao Zedong supposedly killed something around 70 million (Again, just off the top of my head), therefore atheism is bad."

So.... Is that the end of the debate now?

10. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I don't see how it's red herring.

There is a claim that atheists are immoral and Christians are moral, yet nothing really backs that up when it comes to serious crimes. :dry:

11. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

christians often like to think that they are morally superior.. yet the " christian " usa with the death penalty breaks the do not kill commandment
    many christian groups in the usa in particular are some of the most hate filled people.. you could not get anyone further removed from christ's teachings
    no way are christians any more moral than anyone else. as proven by the amount of christian hate sites etc.. oh and lets not forget the good old catholic church... maybe when it actually gives back all the artifacts in the vatican it has stolen over the years from other faiths ( esp from the jews ) and stops their priests abusing children i will respect them more :{

12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've never heard that before, but these Christians are obviously insane.

I hate how Christians are all lumped into one category. The Church I go to is filled with the most loving and accepting people around. Completely tolerant, all inclusive. I have never heard them point a finger at any one else. The whole point is to love everyone no matter who they are, what they've done, what their beliefs. They are wonderful people and I have never found anyone there to boast themselves or even hint at moral superiority.

13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Holy generalization, Batman! I am a Catholic and from the United States and I believe neither in abortion nor the death penalty because both are murder.

Re: the whole child molestation thing, I am so sick of people blaming the Catholic Church instead of the individuals involved. Priests are human just like everyone else and do very human things. Although it may not be seen by secular society as the right way to go about things, Christianity is based upon forgiveness, and in the past, when a priest showed genuine contrition for his actions, he was allowed to remain a priest and generally moved to another parish where he would not be around children. Knowing what we know now, molesters tend to be pathological in nature and often find a way to repeat their offenses despite their own protestations to the contrary. The fact that the church may not have understood this in the past is in no way indicative of some kind of huge conspiracy where the Catholic Church as a whole condones or propagates the molestation of children.

14. soliloquise

this is how all christians should be, unfortunately most are not :(

15. soliloquise

lol.. sure thing. there were no cover ups at all :rolleyes:
    that same church also condemns contraception ... nowt like increasing the spread of hiv and back street abortion is there

plus lets not forget all the many abusive nuns who abused children in the orphanages ( see magdelene laundries in ireland )

imo catholicism is an even worse form of christianity because of all the guilt induced crapola, quite besides the history of violence, abuse, theft, violence, secrecy and murders... lets not forget the vaticans ill gotten gross wealth accumulating. ugh

evil religion again :{

Today’s Philadelphia Inquirer (Sunday, September 25, 2005) contained a front page story about the recent scathing grand jury report incriminating priests, and providing evidence of cover up by many high ranking officials The jist of the article , called Faith strong despite scandal, was that “Area Catholics are angry, but some call the idea of leaving the church unfathomable.” Many Catholics, the article stated, are disappointed, and even mad, but with a faith in God that is still strong, many would never think of leaving the Catholic Church.
    I’ve got news for the many Catholics in the world. The Catholic Church, not to mention other churches as well, has had scandal and blood on its hand since its beginning. This recent sex abuse scandal is just another in a long line of embarrassing and illegal atrocities of men who call themselves Christian, and “men of God.”
    Remember the Crusades? Remember the Inquisition? Remember the silence and even support of Hitler? Remember the many peoples conquered by the Catholic Church in the name of God? And now, think of the many children abused by the Catholic Church.
    I do not understand how a “strong faith in God” equates to support of the Catholic Church, or any church that commits such heinous atrocities. God is God. He is not any one denomination or man-made institution. I have to say I know my Bible pretty well, but tell me where it says that God is the Catholic Church? Where is this “once a Catholic, always a Catholic” thing written? The God I believe in doesn’t require me to belong to any particular church group.
    Would a God-fearing Christian continue to hold fast to any other organization that conducted illegal activity? If one belonged to a civic organization that decided to engage in criminal activity to increase its budget, would one think twice about leaving that organization? If a group a God-fearing Christian belonged to had several members committing sexual abuse, would that group still be supported?

to say there have been no cover ups including from the bloody pope is quite frankly ridiculous. one pathetic apology means nothing.

16. soliloquise

Catholics are responsible for the rape of more children, the murder of more women, and the torture of more innocents than any other institution ever devised by man. From its origin through this very day, the Catholic 'Church' has supressed knowledge and fought scientific progress. They openly and actively supported slavery. They supported racism, fascism, and sexism. They were allies of Hitler and Mussalini. They published the Witches Hammer, a 'how to' guide to torture and murder innocent women. They burned scientists at the stake in a futile attempt to keep the masses from learning the Bible is incorrect. They tortured and murdered multitudes in the Inquisition and and Crusades - all in the name of a loving God. Is the Catholic Church evil? Yes. It is the most evil institution ever devised by man. The Pope's apology for the vast amount of "sins committed by the church" in 2000 is not enough.

http://karlscorner.blogspot.com/2005/09/evil-catholic-churchs-history.html

17. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Here are some quotes from various well-known/outspoken christians:

"Many of those people involved with Adolph Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals--the two things seem to go together."
    [Pat Robertson, "The 700 Club," 1/21/93, ADL report on Religious Right, page 131]

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharaoh's chariotters".[Rev. Jerry Falwell]

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.."
    [Hitler (Mein Kampf, Chapter 2)]

Wonderful people, no?

More than anything I dislike religion because it wants blind faith without thought.

The evidence is overwhelming now that religions such as christianity and islam, etc. are likely false.

If practicers would accept this I wouldn't be so opposed to religion, but the fact that they stay so close-minded about it makes it so I can never believe in it.

18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Some of the greatest mass murderers in human history were commited athiests like Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot. For every religious monster you have an irreligious one as well. For every religious ignorant you have a secular or athiest counterpart. The crimes and violence you've all quotes don't fall exclusively to one group or the other but to humanity as a whole, regardless of creed or lack thereof.

The fact of the matter is that being athiest and being religious ultimately has no greater bearing on your morality, ethics, and all-around conduct. Evil, as well as good, would to me seem just as likely for one as it is for the other. In other words, remove religion and we'd still have similar levels of violence and degredation. After all, we've probably fought more for territory, money, or simple glory than for any God (not including invoking God's name in justificaiton for these self-interested goals).

19. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

'

Yeah, but Sam. Have you seen their architecture?

:tongue:

20. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.