Aked a counsellor if i should admit myself

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by liveinhope, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

My emotions have been so varied of late and i asked a counsellor i talk with if i should admit myself i was surprised by her answer which was:

Hi Dawn

That’s a difficult question for me to answer. I’m not sure what facilities your mental health service provide, but I know that here they’re not great. It’s usually just the medical model administering medication and providing nothing in the way of therapy. I know here I would be trying to avoid people going to hospital if at all possible. However what it would do is provide you with a safer environment meaning that it would be more difficult for you to take your life there.

In my experience hospital can just become a revolving door for people and unfortunately as much as we hate to admit it, it can stigmatise people. Think carefully about it Dawn and weigh up the pro’s and con’s before making that decision. It may not seem like it but you must be making progress if you have been more open with M. Have faith in yourself.

Now im even more confused i guess

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Wow - honesty! :blink:

Ironically it makes it 10 times as hard to see what direction to go in! You may or may not have already run the gamut in seeking out various community resources. I dunno. I happened to find several in mine that I attended concurrently (so's not to put "all my eggs in one basket"). The variety at least made it less 'dull' :dry:

Yeah, facilities and treatment vary all over the map, unfortunately. But a lot of places including the hospitals have a lot of Outpatient groups/programs - whether you've been "in" or not. Some I encountered were as well one-on-one. Tho those are somewhat harder to come by - again, depending on where you live. Gosh, I dunno if this helped, but I hear you. It already feels like 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' - or 'six-o-one and half a dozen o'the other'. But at least (?) your counsellor isn't one of those shoving a one-size-fits-all solution down your throat...:huh:
  3. physician

physician Well-Known Member

which country do u live in?
  4. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

your counsellor is exactly right. I'm currently in the hosptial against my will and all it really is, is a safe environment. The doctor sees you everyday but not to counsel, just to see how your medications need to be adjusted. There's no real valuable therapy involved. Think carefully about this.
  5. patacake

patacake Well-Known Member

Ill support u whatever u do my friend , though personally I think our 'particular' facilities here are not the answer and really do encourage the revolving door process.

You know im not keen on private healthcare but , i think maybe that would be worth looking at hun , if anything .

You know ill be there for u wherever u go whatever u do.

love n hugs

6. liveinhope

Thanks all hugs oh im in UK by the way
  7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

You need to have somewhere that looks after more than just your medical needs Dawn. If all the hospitals in your area offers is nothing more than medication management, then that is not what you need. You do need a safe environment, but if you can make sure you are never left alone, the safety net is built in already. Surround yourself with your friends and all the love of your children. Continue to be honest with M and deal with the current issues that have you feeling this way. You remain in my thoughts always.
  8. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I've been in both public and private environment Dawn. Honestly, public sucks big time. They see you to adjust yuor meds, ask how you doing so you see the doc of the day five min if lucky then out wasting your day walking from walls to walls, sleep if your lucky.

private is another world. Docs comes several times a day, spends time, listen to you, you see a therapist once a day, you get medication and nurses are charming and caring, they love what they do and it shows on
    how they treat the patients. yo are a human being not a patient iwth mental
    problem to them. its A-1 structure in my book.

if you can get in the second facility, go for it and have no rush to get out of there. Be open and honest on a daily basis is the key to get better there. Talking from experience.

Hope you will take the right decision, i'm with you whichever you decide to go to.

lots of love, granny xox
  9. liveinhope

Thank you both Granny and Gentlelady for your replies, i did continue being honest with my cousellor on Tuesday and it landed me at the hospital anyway, she wasnt happy with what i was saying and called the out of hours facility and i went there,i saw a very nice Dr who for a rare change i feltlistened to me i was fortunate as i had jo come in with me and she was able to say what i couldnt, he talked options including seeing the psychiatrist but we agreed that the change in meds might be part of it, but i know inside its only a small part but he did change them so here we go trying yet another medication, he also said i need more support from GP if im to stay away from the psych unit (implied rather than said) i explained i want to see a female Dr dont know why but havent got far with male ones anyways i have appointment friday with a lady so we will see and just try and stay safe till friday (not sure how sure i am that i can itseems an eternity away) but thanks for the supportive messages as always they are appreciated hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.