Alcohol Abuse

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Caster, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I guess this post could go in a few other forums as well, but here goes. I don't know what to do. My parents caught on to my drinking and left the empty bottles of vodka out on the table in my basement for me to find. I knew something was wrong before I found them. They won't even speak to me; I don't get it....they drink every night too, just not as much. It's only been the past 6 weeks or so I switched to almost every night....otherwise I couldn't sleep or would just break down crying.

I guess my question is, should I just suffer through the withdrawals? I get shaky when it comes up on 24 hours with no alcohol. My anxiety gets really bad, and I have always had bad anxiety. I have to take a xanax to get through my shifts. So should I just try to use xanax to come off of it?

My life is unbearable right now. I literally have nothing to live for. My whole family is against me. I have no friends or relatives to turn to or talk to. I'm probably going to get kicked out soon based on what they said. What kind of life is worth living where you work like 60 hours a week to pay your bills and all you do is work and sleep with no one in it?

Part of me hopes I have a seizure and die from withdrawals. And I don't mean it in a vindictive way....I just can't take the pain anymore. I stayed sober for a long time before and nothing really changed.

I'm sorry for the long post.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi don't be sorry okay you are dealing with life the best way you can but it won't change anything the drinking. You need to sign in to a rehab center to help you get off the alcohol safely okay I hope you get some professional help to decrease you need on it and to gain better coping skills hugs
  3. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Thank you for your support total eclipse. Unfortunately I did not check in to a rehab center. I've heard they're expensive and it would mean losing my job, even though my job is a major disappointment to everyone anyways. I'm through the worst of it. I quit cold turkey Saturday, drank four beers Sunday, and nothing after that and now it's Wednesday afternoon.

It was horrible though. I was hearing stuff that wasn't there and threw up once but I guess I made it through the worst of it. I used xanax to help get off of it but IMO xanax is just as dangerous if not more so than alcohol:/.
  4. total eclipse

i don't know where you live but in canada treatment centers here are covered under ohip alcohol poisoning is very hard on ones organs i would not want you to have to go on dialysis for rest of your life. I am glad you are trying to get off it but with help i thing you will succeed in stay ing off. here it is called harm reduction if you have to drink use some less alcohl like cooler and like you are doing less of it wean off it. i am sorry you have to do this without help but i am glad you are trying hugs
  5. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

We have free treatment centers here in the US, but the free ones are only two weeks. I've been to one, well visited, with my AA group a long time ago and it's bs. There's no therapy...mostly just people locked up who go there to get warm and to get food. Most are just there to get off the streets:(. I'm feeling better each day which is good. Although last night I felt incredibly angry for no apparent reason, and I rarely get angry. I just have to make sure I don't overdo the xanax though. I really don't want to switch addictions.

I do feel less depressed though, and less suicidal now. I know the alcohol was making it worse but it's a vicious cycle and when I think about suicide all the time drinking can seem like the least of my problems. Sometimes it's just hard to snap out of the cycle. I'm sure others can relate.
  6. liquid

liquid Well-Known Member

hi caster,
    i am also an alcoholic, im currently going through the prossess of gettting clean. I am still drinking, but trying to cut it back a little each day, which is hard but its working. My doc is going to prescribe me some valium or diazapam which is supposed to relive some of the cravings, i hope it works.
  7. total eclipse

there are many meds that can be prescribed to decrease cravings and help you fight this battle talk to your gp No noone can just snap out of it.
  8. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I wish you the best liquid. Valium should help...all I have is Xanax ER but it's better than nothing. I have to take one a day or else I feel like I'll have an anxiety attack or just crumble. I don't know why but I'll end up holding back tears if I go too long with a xanax.

It's been a week straight with no alcohol and just one xanax each day. I've felt really dizzy today and have no idea why.

It's weird but I'm not even sure if what I get is alcohol cravings or just a craving the numbness it'll give me, if that even makes sense. I tried Campral before which is supposed to help with cravings but basically it just made me kind of sick to my stomach if I drank while I was on it.
  9. topsail81

topsail81 Well-Known Member

I'm a alcoholic who stopped drinking 9 months ago. I suffered through withdraw when I stopped and was terrible the first night. But, the linger you drink the worse it will be. It is not the same for everyone though.

How old are you? The younger you usually the easy it is to get through it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.