alcohol addiction

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by theleastofthese, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

and it's effects on my family. I'm alradday a loser but what about m family? ARen't I affecting them too? what a loser I am and what a loser I am as a parent to my kids.
  2. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

At last. someone i can relate to. i know i was led to this particular post by some force. i am a former alcoholic. i am now 100% sober.

1. you are not a loser. you just make that choice to have that one drink. the first drink. that split second you make the choice to have the first sip; can you deal with that?

2. after dealing with that part; now what? i am now finding what will replace my drinking. sports, gym, school, wife... anything to ENGAGE you. i won't let myself be idle again. i'd rather gamble than drink. i'd rather lose my money than lose my liver, health, friends and family in selfish binge drinking isolation. cirrhousis is not the way to go. oh no.

3. God. yes you heard me. go to AA forums online and you'll know what i'm talking about b4 you call me religious. alcoholism could be a spiritual addiction and many people are blind to this fact. I had to choose btwn my Maker and alcohol. God made alcohol. God could both show you why you drink and help solve that problem letting you know why he made you. as you establish a relationship with him as a friend, he will, in time, show you your place(purpose) in this world. don't ask me how i know this. nothing is impossible with God. he warns me right before i touch alcohol nowadays. life is a test. a game. you will either have to learn self control in this lifetime or another (this is my personal belief, you don't have to buy it). alcoholics came into this world to learn how not to let their body control them.

4. i have to say goodbye to all my drinking friends. its a big world out there, with so much more to explore than just a drink in a glass. don't let your life pass you by my friend. drinking steals your life, literally.

please don't take anything i say personal. i am also in the learning process. the good thing is that if i can quit alcohol on my own (without going to AA meetings, which is selfish in a way b/c other alcoholics over there need my help and knowing what you give you recieve), i CAN DO ANYTHING ELSE in this life. that will be proof of my personal power that is inside me. now i go to parties and watch everyone drinking (i wouldn't advice you to do this) and i will not even sip a drink. i do this to see how strong i am. just to test myself and to prove to God that he can trust me.

good luck.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Least no way are you a loser :mad:
    What might one ask is there in your life at the moment that would keep you from wanting a drink:mad:

Thank God for the dogs is all I can say, at least there you know you are loved unconditionally, unlike the kids who treat you abominably :mad:

Please stop beating yourself up, you can stop (you've done it) but you need to replace it's comfort with something else that makes life bearable. Wish I was nearer so we could walk thru this together, but remember I'm only an email away :hug:

and Sudut :eek:hmy: WELL DONE!!! :hug:
  4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

least you are not a loser at all. you are a person struggling to stay afloat and your coping mechanism is alcohol. It doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you someone that needs help from the people that love you. I'm sorry you are struggling, please know you can PM me if you need to talk. :hug:
  5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I completely agree with, Terry!

You are not a loser. You are trying and we've all got problems, but you are not a bad person, you are a very caring person, and your children are so lucky to have you, they just don't realize it, I wish they did.

I swear, I would give nearly anything to have had a mother like you growing up, I didn't really have a mother, someone who allowed me to be abused, maybe and verbally abusive. I just wish your kids would see what a great mother they are and be thankful.

Sending hugs to ya, dear. :hug: :hug: :hug:

PS; If you ever would like to talk, i'd love it. My email and msn is ;)
  6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

If you are a loser, what are we all??? No one here is forced to sing your praises...we do so because we believe them to be true...what you are struggling with is very difficult...were it any easier, you would not be struggling...remember there are many roads to Rome, so to say, and if one philosophy/strategy does not fit, try another...the most important part, is that you reclaim yourself and your self-worth in the, PM, do wht you can to let me know what you want...big hugs, J
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.