Alcohol and Bipolar Disorder?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Anyone with bipolar want to say how they feel if they drink? I often drink if I'm particularly manic and want to try and slow it down a little. Doesn't always work though.
  2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Yeah me too. I binge drink when I'm manic. But I tend to drink when I'm way down on the other side of the bi polar scale too. Neither do me any good in reality. In my head though I think it is covering the pain. But it never really does.
  3. TooShyToScream

TooShyToScream Well-Known Member

I'm not bipolar but I drink sometimes to subside my emotions. Truthfully I'm not a huge fan of how it makes me feel. It makes me stupid and out of it to the point where I don't think about my problems for a while, but it also makes me act stupidly, like have sex when I don't really want to (it makes me feel like I do when I really don't while I'm sober). And I usually end up drinking too much and passing out in some sort of awkward position, leaving me unable to clean up after myself if I throw up. I still do it because it technically gets the job done of making me not think anymore, but it's not my drug of choice if I have something else. I like opiates best because they're sedating and don't make me act weird, and don't leave me unconscious in a puddle of puke.
  4. Ringo

Ringo Well-Known Member

No matter what problems you have alcohol doesn't do you any good. It may dull you for a few hours but the aftereffects are usually worse and the problems magnified.
  5. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I'm bipolar and don't drink often at all, but when I do it turns into a binge and I feel guilty, exhausted, sick and depressed afterwards. I can't stop no matter what limits I set for myself

With bipolar disorder self-medication is something that is very common but it really, honestly, just makes things worse. I quit drinking for months now and feel way better but on my birthday I binge-drank (8 in a row) and ended up just sleeping and feeling bad the rest of the day. Beware your mood shifts before, during and after drinking alcohol. Know what your meds can and can't combine with.... I'm sorry if you're struggling with the issue of drinking.
  6. annaC

annaC New Member

I believe that people with bipolar disorder shouldn’t drink. My teenage boy is bipolar and when he drinks, his anger flares and he becomes abusive. Plus, alcohol just isn’t a good substitute for medication. When he started entering the counseling program at a teen boarding school it helps him to gradually dissociate himself to alcohols.

The important issue about drinking with bipolar disorder is to consider why you would be doing it. If you're doing it to help manage symptoms, even if it's anxiety or insomnia, be aware that we actually have much better and much safer treatments that we can take to manage those symptoms. If you're using it recreationally -- if you're using it thinking that you enjoy it -- that's fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with you being well.
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I totally agree 100%. I self medicated with alcohol between 1998-2005 and my behaviour both manic and depressed was ten times worse. Even when I was on medication and drank it was still far worse. My behaviour during that period of time still makes feel ashamed even now (constant drink driving). All I drink now is a couple of bottles of beer 3 or 4 times a year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.