Alcohol and cutting *TRIGGER WARNING*

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by SweetSurrender, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

In my head - all i can hear is - "CUT, CUT, CUT, CUT, CUT, CUT"

It's not helped by the fact i have had alcohol tonight, which considering the fact i rarely drink (in order to maintain control over my depression and SH thoughts) and the fact i have awful family history in regards to alcohol, is a very bad thing. I definately feel i could succumb to alcoholism very easily which is why i steer clear of the stuff as much as i can! But sometimes i just don't care, and after one drink i figure what more could 5 more do really?! But for those that have never had a alcoholic drink before - it does make a difference, even one. Alcohol is the devil's drink.

I've already done myself damage, there is not much else i can do in regards to that. I should have tried the 'put off 5 minutes policy' but alcohol makes you disregard all common sense.

And I just don't care!!!!!!!

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Please don't cut hun. I had a little alcohol tonight too. Just some cherry brandy and sprite. A little is ok, but a lot is harmful. :hug:

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Do what you can to escape this miserable existence. SF on the whole is a lot like Dave up there. "Please don't do [suicide/cutting/drinking etc.] and continue on suffering."

4. sending you hugs
    because i feel i cant do anything else to help you. im sorry.
    i cant tell you to stop cutting, but maybe planning ahead to either not drink, or remove all possible things you might be able to use?
    PM me if you want to talk about it anytime

5. SweetSurrender

Thanks. You're right, simply saying 'please don't cut' isn't that useful. But i appreciate the sentiment. It is hard for those that don't SH to understand the mentality behind it and it makes sense to them if something is harming someone to say - 'just don't do it'. This is why education regarding SH is important so that those that want to help can do so more effectively. Those that SH know that SH isn't really about the act itself, it is more about the intense emotion behind it but for those that don't SH as they only see the cuts and scars it is understandable that they believe stopping the act will be the solution to our problems. I guess it is a lot like anorexia, most people believe the main issue for them is food, so therefore the solution is to make them eat, but for anorexics it is rarely about food - that is just how their difficulties have manifested. Stopping the external symptom does not cure the root of the problem. But glitter-princess is right too, we can try and control the SH and find other ways to release what is inside. That is the battle everyone that SH faces. However sometimes the depression makes me not want to try and battle, it leads me on a self-destructive path. That is when i really just need a hug, some comfort, someone who is willing to listen without judgement, without telling me what i should be doing (because i do know that SH is stupid even when intoxicated!).

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm sorry if anyone felt insulted when I said please stop cutting. I know that you guys do it as a way of coping with the pain. I just think that there are better ways of coping than cutting/burning yourself.

7. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Alcohol is only going to make matters worse, and even when you think things can't get any worse, low and behold, they do.

Just be careful.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, it's not insulted, Dave. Sometimes the forum and the world in general seem rather selfish. People say that suicide is selfish, but there's no reason we should have to suffer our whole lives so others don't have to grieve over our death. Staying alive helps others, not me.

9. SweetSurrender

Dave i was never insulted. It means a lot that you care enough to post back to me. I am someone you didn't need to listen too. It matters a lot that you care, and there is a lot of information regarding SH around for people just like you who care. I agree there are better ways of coping than cutting/burning.
    Sometimes i am able to utilize those coping methods but sometimes i am not. My SH is directly related to depression, as depression is a mental illness it distorts my logic/ideas/feelings so much that even when logically i know there are better ways to cope, i am still self-destructive. SH is a confusing issue, many people that SH don't always know why they do so - all they know is that it helps. I have read a lot about SH and it has really helped me to realise why i started and why i continue, and how i can help myself limit it and eventually stop altogether. I really believe education regarding SH is key; both for those that SH so they can start to help themselves, and for those that know people that SH so they can protect themselves and offer their support appropriately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.