Alcohol and Depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by stinkymouse, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

Why is it when i am more depressed i turn to alcohol?...and not just me,alcohol and depression go together like tea and toast...i drink when im depressed to block the bad memories and feel better about myself,but it only lasts about 15mins,untill i get totally drunk and then i feel worse and even suicidal,in fact both my ODS were taken when intoxicated,and when i wake up i feel worse than before.
    Yet here i am again drinking stella and hoping to have a good evening for a change...i think i also drink to alleviate the boredom....:huh:

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Vicious cycle isn't it. Alcohol is a depressant so obvioulsy it's recommended that people with depression avoid alcohol.

I know from my own experiences that I am not necessarily more suicidal but more likely to follow through with any plans. I made a conscious effort not to drink but sometimes I just think f#ck it & have a bottle of wine or 2. It's also hard to avoid drinking in social situations when they don't know you're depressed & on meds so I usually just drink with them.

If you're drinking to alleviate boredom then can you not think of doing something else like logging?

3. oxygenidia

oxygenidia Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you mean. I have been doing it for years. I drink when I'm depressed, when I'm happy, when I'm bored..., you name it.
    Alcohol has a terrible way of causing depression or making an existing depression even worse. This summer I felt ok, but after some hard drinking during the fall I have gotten very depressed again.
    Very much a vicious cycle indeed!

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It's a proven fact that alcohol kills the effects of most phsyc meds. If your going to drink then you might as well quit taking your meds. Your doctor will tell you the same thing. All your doing is kidding yourself. I am an alcoholic but when I started taking meds years ago I quit drinking cold turkey. I go to my brothers everynow and then and you never see him without a beer in his hand. When he takes a drink he just pours it right down his throat he doesn't even let it in his mouth. Now that is a major alcoholic. I will have one sometimes two beers with him and thats it. I don't even like the tatse of it anymore.

5. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

I have no idea - why when we're feeling sad do we do anything else self-destructive?! I think it is because we're not thinking straight. I've been getting drunk a lot of evenings over the christmas period to block out all my depressive thoughts but it never is a good thing - it make my thoughts more pronounced....unless i drink to that point when it is too much effort to move. If you are drinking to lift your mood or just plain bored, it won't change either. You need to set boundries in advance in order to stop drinking because you will get to a point (usually for me on an evening) where you think 'oh wtf' and just have a drink even if you didn't overly want it. You need to be on alert all the time when your depression leads you to drink. I know the terrible connection between it, too many people are hurt from it all. Recognise what you are drinking for and try and alliviate or change the symptoms before you find 'the cure' in a drink.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My meds+alcohol = major drowsy; they amplify that effect in eachother.

I use alcohol to get through the toughest moments. It puts the panic at bay and often puts me to sleep. Sleep saves me...

Well, it did. My dreams have recently become nightmares, but nothing interesting - my family is acting much the same as it usually does in them. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.