Alcohol and losing control

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by maranature, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maranature

maranature Well-Known Member

I had an alcohol experience recently that worried me, which has prompted me to write this.

I won't bore you with the details but basically I drank too much and did some stupid stuff whilst drunk. Nothing bad happened I don't think, but I was reckless and unaware of what was going on, and exposed myself to risk. I can't remember much of what happened but I woke up late the next day with memory loss, alcohol poisoning and extreme self-loathing.

Since I was quite young I've had this problem with alcohol. I realised when I was about 21 (in my 30s now) that I had to change this pattern of behaviour, which I basically managed to do.

Now, for several years, my alcohol consumption has been this:

2 bottles of wine during the week
    and then, at home on a Saturday night (let's say 4 pints and a few shots of whisky). I don't go out when drunk and normally just fall asleep.

However, every now and again though, if I drink too much, I end up wandering over to the nearest pub and a situation like the above arises.

So I'm faced with a choice, give up alcohol completely or to just try and continue as I am with moderate drinking and just be very wary of spirits.

I find the idea of completely giving up alcohol very difficult. Why drink? Alcohol is an anti-depressant, isn't it? It helps the body to wind down and shut down, doesn't it?

I think what really bothers me when I'm in this state though is the fact that I was so close to the edge and to losing control.(Stereophonics drummer who choked on his own vomit when drunk - that could easily have been me.)
  2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

Your heading down the road to alcoholism, take from me a n alcoholic.

Things will only get worse to the point were you have absolutely no control.

Also alcohol is a depressant and can cause depressive like symptoms.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.