Alcohol - does it help you?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Sycotic_Sarah, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does alcohol help you?

For me, it does at first, when I've had a few drinks, but I have very bad control and when it comes to alcohol, I end up passing out in my own puke.
    I have considered suicide numerous times when drinking, most of the time, I'll end up drunk and sometimes it can be very nice and I'll be happy, but other times I can become very depressed and suicidal and begin contemplating suicide.

How is it for you, if you drink?
    Does alcohol help?
    When your drunk, how do you feel, if you remember?
    What has happened when you've drank too much?

Just curious...
  2. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

People who know me well would probably say that I drink too much....Maybe ther are right.

Alcohol affects me in different ways, kinda like you Sarah.

Most of the time for the first few drinks I get happy, t takes away the pain of depression and makes me feel better.
    If I carry on drinking though I usually end up feeling really bad. Though I have never attempted while I have been drunk (mainly because I cry or pass out) I usually consider it.

Many times in the last 4 months (since my Nan passed away) Vikki has had to look after me when I have started crying in the middle of a pub when I'm drinking.

Drinking in moderation helps me. Drinking too much makes me worse.
  3. Thankyou for replying. I agree. For me, drinking in moderation does help. Drinking too much is a no-no.

Just gets a bit outta control sometimes when you drink a bit, then you just want to drink more, if you get me?
  4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I DEFINATELY understand!

With white wine if I drink more than about 2 glasses then I want to carry on and finish the bottle :laugh:

Vodka is the worst for me though :unsure:
  5. Yeah, same with me with wine!!!
    Ah, it is nice knowing someone understands!:)
  6. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Will be interesting knowing if alcohol does the same to other people :)
  7. Heh, yeah, very interesting. :) Thanks Sam. :hug:
  8. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Alcohol does seem help me for the most part. It numbs the anger and sadness I'm usually feeling. It also ends up helping me get to sleep better. I've also been finding that my dreams seem so much more realistic on nights that I've had a good amount to drink.

I haven't really made it to the point where I'm drank to much and passed out from it. I also have a very high tolerance, so that makes a difference. But I figure if I did drink enough, I would probably have the same experience as both of you.
  9. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I really do not drink often, but sometimes I, at select few times, do when I'm seriously depressed, and it helps a lot, then... it numbs the feelings of hopelessness and anxiety, and usually makes me happier, as well. I usually go to bed, afterwards, too... that's usually the intention; getting drunk so I can go to bed and escape reality. I really haven't been drunk many times, though... almost too few times. Although, of course; if you drink more often, it most probably won't help as much. There's one important rule to follow, though; never to drink in the company of others, or outside your home... not that I know anyone, but if I, hypothetically, did know people, I never would drink around them. Who knows what they could end up doing with you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2007
  10. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Alcohol helps everything. It eracicates all my inhibitions, I am confident, could talk to anyone, do anything, I am a totally different person.
    But I usually drink too much and pass out. But it's fun :)

though i can't say I get drunk anymore, not since i have no one to drink with :( meh
  11. Raven

Raven Guest

It sure makes a great way to escape, I know I used to keep a bottle handy for the really rough nights when I couldn’t sleep I quit doing that a long time ago as I found it made whatever I was up worrying about amplified. For the most part I use it know as a way to unwind from the week, go and buy a twelve pack and kill it at the end of the work week. The problem is that whatever I am running from is still their, waiting for me to sober up and then its back, it always takes just a little more to forget.

12. AloneInTheDark

AloneInTheDark Well-Known Member

helps at the time when i don't care.. im drinking right now and i really shouldnt be.. ment to be at work.. taken the day off cause i cut myself yesterday for the first time in ages.. feel so fucking down...
  13. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

i guess to relax a bit but i cant handle alcohol as much as i used to and i always end up feeling worse then when i started :dry:
  14. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

I drink frequently and am starting to wonder if i am not an alcoholic. I drink to get drunk and kill the pain of the depression. I don't recall any feeling at all, just a numbness.
  15. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Alcohol 'helps' to an extent but sometimes I do end up feeling suicidal and in the past I self harmed quite a few times while I was drunk.
  16. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Alcohol interfers with my sleep....i wake up sweating during the night when i've been drinking then i can't get back to sleep.
  17. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I like hard liquor.
  18. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I like anything that burns on its way down.
  19. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

for me, alcohol just keeps the voices at bay. sorta.
    when i start drinking i can't stop. i drink to get drunk and hopefully pass out. and soon. if not i start thinking about my life and how wonderful it is.LOL i get stuck in my head and get very depressed and want to die. everytime. when i drink i tend to think about s/i and end up doing something that helps the hurt. :'( i hate me, and especially hate myself when i drink-to the point of attempting in the past:(
    to answer your question sara, does it help me? yes, it helps me want to die more than i already do:'(
  20. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

alcohol helped me at first, helped me relax, but now it's nothing but destroying me. I wish I'd never had that first drink. what a loser I am
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.