Alcohol getting out of hand.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by JustScott, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustScott

JustScott Well-Known Member

So, I like to drink whiskey. I'm Scottish and I bloody love it. I'm not justifying drinking massive amounts of whiskey because of my heritage though.
    My problem is what happens when I have a few.
    I'm 19, and on nights out I tend to just drink whatever tipple the bar has, on the rocks, and normally it's fine.
    But now, I've started blacking out long before my 'normal threshold' and I have no idea what happens for about 8 hours afterwards. I'd say it was spiking, but it happens to often to be coincidence.
    Several times, I've come home with other people's wallets as well as my own, or signs I've picked up off the street on the walk home. Once, I had a garden gnome in my bed.
    I digress. The frequency of drinking sessions are increasing, and the amount of money I spend every session is massive. I can't seem to go out without spending at least £90.
    I'm starting to worry that I'll do something really bad when I'm not aware of it, but I keep catching myself thinking of nothing but the amazing first whiskey after work.
    So, this was mostly ramble with no subject, so...essentially, what I would like to know is what people started doing when you noticed warning signs, or if you noticed them at all?
    I'm getting concerned about this and I don't want to end up alcoholic.
    Memento Mori,
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Scott to me you already are an alcoholic read definition of the work ok When alcohol disrupts ones life when your are blacking out you have a big problem and you need to get some councilling some therapy some help NOW ok as it has gone to far. h ugs
  3. kote

kote Account Closed

the easiest thing to do is get "antabuse" from your dr. this medicine is a miracle it stopped me drinking the very day i took it.

no more problems.

also i know drinking revolves around a social scene - try picking up a new hobby or two.
  4. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Scott, I too am of Scots descent and like a dram. I think you know you have a problem. Going to your G.P. and getting a referral for a liver scan might show the damage you've already done to yourself physically. Hope you find answers that work for you and quickly. You don't mention where the money for the booze comes from but if it's from employment your work is probably already suffering as a result. One of the big problems with heavy drinking is denying it's negative effects.
  5. JustScott

JustScott Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to forcibly come to terms with how much I drink (90% of my wages go on nights out drinking) so I'm going to my G.P. and I'm going to see what my liver is like, as it is painful most times I drink now, which surprisingly doesn't make me stop...
    It feels like the only times I'm happy though, is when I've got a nice single malt in my hand with "friends" (drinking buddies), and I know it's an excuse but the only times I meet up with people is at bars after work.
    I just...I find it hard to change habits, and this has been a habit ever since I've been of legal drinking age.
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Don't leave it to the point that harm cannot be reversed to your live ok Go in and talk to your doctor about getting help hugs
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean. Your post just really resonated with me. I've found myself stuck in that same pattern on and off over the past 14 months.
  8. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Scott - Hi :) You understand your problem very well.

Tell me the honest truth in answer to this question: Is your life better with the whiskey, or is it worse?

Only when you are fully persuaded that your life is worse with the whiskey, will you be able to give it away. Being fully persuaded that it is worse will kick-start the area in your brain to do with motivation - and you will be able to stop it completely. And enjoy a healthy liver as a result :) Not to mention a healthy life :) All the best for knowing what it is you need to do as your own best friend in this matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.