Alcohol question...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cult logic, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Does anyone know if rum goes bad? Internet sources have said no but I'd like to hear personal opinions.

I ask because I found a dusty bottle of captain morgan's spiced rum and I have no idea how old it might be. Anywhere from 3-29 years old is my guess.

The bottle is unopened.

Assuming that it was 29 years old would it still be good if it's sealed?

If so I've hit the jackpot.
  2. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I don't think it does, I am fairly certain in the past they have pulled up stocks of rum from sunken ships and been able to drink them....I've never had Captain Morgan before so I can't comment. YAY for random findings.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I don't think it would go bad unless it was in extreme heat for any extended period of time.

Open it, away from your face, just in case, you never know. Then give it a smell test, and if it smells o.k., try a sip.

Morgans is a little sweeter, to me anyway, with a little spice to it. I find it much different than most other rums, so I would know if I tasted it. On the other hand, I wouldn't want you to get sick along with getting drunk, so go easy.
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

You're sixteen, depressed, and sometimes suicidal. Don't drink it. Sell it for something. Alcohol will make you feel bad and depressed and suicidal. It's not a good coping method.
  5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Only if you use it irresponsibly.

I like to think I know better than to binge drink.
  6. Epiphany

Epiphany Well-Known Member

Isn't rum one of those alcohols that gets better with age?
  7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

No alcohol is a depressant in nature. One drink will make you more depressed.
  8. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

alcohol and sugar in themselves are both preservatives, it all depends if the air has spoiled thats trapped inside, you wont know till you open it, if it tastes of vinager its bad! simple
  9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

What's the worst that could happen?

If I killed myself that would be great.
  10. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

IMHO, Capt. Morgan starts off bad. :rofl:
    I've found that it never pays to drink something because it's cheap and available. Only drink because it's good.
  11. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

It might evaporate but it does not go bad. It might have aged to perfection . ..
  12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm a rum drinker and would say no it isn't bad.. Taste it and if it tastes bad then pitch it..It will have a little bit of a spice taste and will be a little bit sweet.. It mixes well with coke..Or egg nog but that only comes out during the holidays..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.