Alcohol relapse

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by maranature, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maranature

maranature Well-Known Member

I recently had a bit of an alcoholic relapse that messed me up to a large degree both physically and psychologically.

Basically my problem is, if I drink too much, I do stupid shit, lose control and wake up the next day not remembering anything. I absolutely hate the feeling the next day. I hate the fact that I've lost control and exposed myself to danger by being so vulnerable because, quite literally, anything can happen in this drunken state.

It's not really the quantity of alcohol I drink but its effect.

Aware I have this problem, I've carefully managed it over the years so that I drink in moderation. Unfortunately, on the rare occasion, I've slipped up and the above scenario repeats itself.

I'm now thinking that I may just have to stop drinking permanently to avoid repetition of this.

I've not had a drink for a few weeks now, although not without going through some unpleasant cold turkey in the evenings.

I'm wondering if I should go to an AA meeting to talk about this...'a problem aired is a problem shared and all that'...but it's not as if I need telling is it?

I'm wondering if I could use marijuana as a substitute, which would at least not end me up in situations like that described above.
  2. Bullzye

Bullzye Active Member

from experiences marijuana is no substitute for alcohol. if you dont want to go to AA may be see what other support is available. think, why do you use alcohol, and if it is to block things out like it is/was for me, then try to resolve these issues, seek help; GP would be first step i guess. for me drugs and alcohol allow me to leave this world for a while, but once sober your problems havent disappeared. find something to focus on; pets, work, school, family, look for something to work towards that will keep you occupied and focus. keep safe. x
  3. Raven

Raven Guest

If you are getting to the point where you are doing thing you do not like under the influence of booze you should stop.

I am not sure about AA, I had friends that went and thought a couple of times going myself. I think they would kick me out me out pretty quick but it does help to have people that have been there and done that.

Quitting is state of mind to, if you really want to stop doing something you can. I quite smoke for months at a time just by putting them down and stopping. It sucked but I made it through. I am pretty much a functional alcoholic at this stage in my life. I just don’t care as I still can manage the rest of my life without it truly impacting it. So yes I have been their and its really up to you.

My advice for what its worth good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.