Alcohol tolerance lowering?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by anarulesmenow, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I have a bit of a drinking problem and I used to have a huge tolerance, but recently I've noticed that it has gone down quite a lot. Could this be due to drinking too much?
  2. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Lot of factors come into play, I was the same way when I drank, after so many years of it didn't take as long to get drunk and it was an effort to consume as much as I once had.:grr: Age is one reason someone can't drink as much, along with how much you ate before or how much you may weigh now, also your mood has a lot to do with it, more depressed I was quicker I got drunk it seemed.:huh: Also from what you mentioned, when you drink a lot it will decrease because you may still have alcohol in your system.
  3. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Yea, I've cut down a lot too, it hits me harder. After drinking for a long time, our livers cant process it like they used to, so it fucks us up faster.
    We're probably in the same camp, we can take it easier on ourselves, or could drink ourselves to death in a matter of weeks if we went to it.
    I know two people who have drank themselves to death (liver failure) and another who didnt know he had hep till it was too late.
    Dont be hard on yourself tho, that never helps.
    I didnt smoke pot for like 20 years, but recently have been smoking some. I dont like the "high" much anymore, but it reduces my desire to have more than a couple drinks on nights I "whoop it up".
  4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I used to be able to drink a fifth of vodka a night...although I would be completely hammered. That was a few years ago when I only drank 3 or 4 nights a week. During the week I would just drink 8 or 9 beers a night and then vodka on the weekends.

Now I can't drink anywhere near that amount. After a pint I'll be pretty drunk. I think part of it is the medication I'm on and maybe because I'm a lot more depressed now? I know I haven't been drinking long enough for my liver to be starting to fail.
  5. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Meds definately can lower your tolerence, particularly mood altering ones. My brother in particular had that happen.000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.