alcohol

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by takencontrol, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takencontrol

takencontrol Well-Known Member

why do i keep going back to it ? im such an idiot.

2. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

its not you going back to it
    its alcohol dragging you back
    everytime you feel like a drink honey just read what youve said above

3. takencontrol

im in big trouble

4. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

Hey Susan,

Did you try to go to an AA-meeting?

I'm going thursday and they support me well over there.

I'm agoraphobic so it's not easy for me to meet new people, but i've discovered that it's more than just an AA-meeting, the people there really care about my safety, since i'm not just an alcoholic but i'm also a drugaddict.

Try look for an AA-meeting in your town, it might be the answer Susan...

I'm here to support you.

5. takencontrol

i dont want to go on my own and ive no one to go with, pathetic i know.

6. hollowvoice

you will meet people there you wont be alone for more than 3 minutes please go brownie or find someone to take you call your therapist tell her of your struggle to go alone she may beable to help

7. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

I know it's scarry to go alone, i had to go alone too and reveal my addictions.

But the attention you get in return from the people out there can help you through your addiction, as they went through the same struggle as you.

Some of the people i see there have been sober for over 5 years now, they still go every week to the AA-meetings, so that means something.

Alcoholism is a severe addiction, i know all about it, i had delirium tremens from withdrawl syndroms.

I can only encourage you to go, please Susan

8. takencontrol

i get the shakes every day i dont have any. i will try i really need help with this now.

9. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

You can do it Susan!

After a while you'll get rid of the shakes believe me.

10. hollowvoice

yep arthurs right the shakes will go but you need this AA brownie just to see your not that alone anymore

11. takencontrol

thank you so much guys its good when there is people who understand what you are going through.

12. hollowvoice

and thats what AA is like ,its a real life human forum ,youll love it AND NO CHAT ROOM !

13. takencontrol

it scares the hell out of me

14. hollowvoice

of course it does,it scares everyone,its a new experiance,no one likes change but when the change is good for you whats a few hours aweek for a life time of being better for you and family soon youll avoid all alcohol stores thinking huh what a waste of my money

15. Arthur

Arthur Account Closed

Susan,

There's no shame in admitting you need help, remember the people in AA-meetings went through the same as you, once you took the first step you'll see how good it feels to vent about your addiction, and by listening to other people talk about their bad experiences with alcohol you'll understand why it's a good thing you went there.

Remember alcohol is destroying your health, i've been inside that addictive black cloud myself, you don't really realize what a vile habit it is untill you hear how it destroyed other people's lives.

Please Susan go to the AA-meeting.

16. takencontrol

i will arthur thank you so much :hug:

17. jerlin09

jerlin09 New Member

I'm agoraphobic so it's not easy for me to meet new people, but i've discovered that it's more than just an AA-meeting, the people there really care about my safety, since i'm not just an alcoholic but i'm also a drugaddict.

Drug Rehab

18. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Hi

Sorry to hear about your struggles with alcohol.. have you also considered getting some help from the NHS (assuming you're in the UK here) or similar? There are Substance Misuse teams which you can normally either self refer to or ask your GP to refer you to.. they will help with reduction of alcohol intake and can offer counselling and key working sessions.

It can be dangerous to stop drinking alcohol suddenly if your body is physically dependent on it, as you can go in to withdrawal so I believe it's better to cut down slowly. But the best thing would be to get some professional help with it.. and like others have said AA can also help as you could meet others who truly understand and can help support you.

Hope it goes well
    Jenny x

19. takencontrol

:stars: im currently under the care of the local addiction service and working with them to stay sober, its bloody hard but im now in a better place to do that, so im confident i can.

20. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Im so glad to hear this, I hope you continue to fight to get your life back in order.

You will see that in days you will feel better, both mentally and physically, and you will see thing in your life that youve been missing out on.

Keep me updated, wishing you all the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.