alcohol

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Kassy, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My questions seems silly, but what would happened if I inject alcohol in me instead of drinking it ?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Ya that is not a good idea you should not inject anything in you unless it is ordered to do so

3. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Well I can tell you what it wouldn't do, it wouldn't get you drunk! :laugh:

4. Lizzy95

Lizzy95 Member

You go to the hospital, don't do it. When you drink the alcohol goes almost directly into your system. Plus, why would you do that? You feel the buzz quick enough...

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think you can die because it goes directly into your bloodstream and can't get filtered through your liver. At least I heard about a guy dying that way.

6. Morningstar

Morningstar Well-Known Member

Actually just to correct Anju you would get drunk and also to correct witty you wouldn't die because the alcohol doesn't get filtered through your liver. What happens and the reason many people do iv alcohol(and many other drugs, namely prescription drugs) is because it bypasses the first metabolism by the liver. Thus allowing more(pretty much all) of the alcohol(or drug) to be completely absorbed by the bloodstream and affect the corrisponding receptors in the brain and elsewhere(not an expert on the ones relating to alcohol as it's never been my thing). As well as creating a more powerful buzz or high, which is the main reason many drugs are iv'd, so they hit harder and work faster(also the main reason why say if you were in a car accident and say you had broken bones sticking out of you the EMT's will give you a shot of morphine not a pill). Now of course this has many dangers if one is doing this recreationally because most people think they can take the same amount they would normally drink or snort or whatever. But because one is bypassing first metabolism and the drug is going straight to one's brain one actually needs much much less. And because inexperienced people underestimate how much is needed many people do OD and yes even die. Also there are many many other negative, dangerous, life-theartening, and downright unpleasent(to say the least) health consquences to such practices(although speaking from a strictly medical an sanitary prespective iv'ing 'scrip drugs has less potentional, although not to say it has none, adverse health effects if done safely and in a sterile fashion). Now to be honest I couldn't find all that much medical info on the side effects of iv'ing alcohol but as I already mentioned accidental OD'ing/alcohol posioning is extremely possible. Also there is an increased risk of infection due to any contaminants in the alcohol being used. And considering many alcoholic beverages use many many ingredients it's a likely possibility. Combine that with anything that may contaminate the alcohol in the process of preparing it. And well it just doesn't seem even remotely worth it all and considering the lack of medical info on the subject it is extremely rare. And I mean getting any type of infection(or possibily even an abcess) in or around a vein can cause serious health problems up to and including amputation of a limb. Anyway my point obviously is that it's something that you really really shouldn't attempt, at all. I know I took a long time making that point but I just know far too much about iv'ing substances and well I'm kinda ocd when it comes to incorrect information(no offense anyone:). So yeah anyway I really hope you just drink the alcohol instead of iv'ing it as I imagine it'd be mighty embarassing to have to explain to doctors(let alone friends, family, etc) why and how you wound up with an infection that may require amputation. Nor I imagine would it be parricularly pleasent way to 'go out' quite frankly, do take care and don't mess with needles(take it from me it's in no way 'fun' at all).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.