Alcoholic Boyfriend

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mapdell, Aug 2, 2016.

1. mapdell

mapdell New Member

I am thinking about ending my miserable life. I was in a serious relationship with a boy for the past five years. We didn't end our relationship, but we are on the urge of a break-up. My boyfriend has turned into an alcoholic. He no more cares for me. I left my parents for him, and now I'm like an orphan. My friends asked me to take him to an alcohol rehab at Bellwood Health Services in Toronto. But he is reluctant to come with me. I want to lead a happy life with him. Will I be able to lead a happy life with him? Does this treatment last long?
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, welcome to the forum. You hurting because you really care for your boyfriend. When you really care for someone and you want care about their feelings that you feeling so low.

It means you are hurting yourself but it does mean you are willing to give up you life for him. To me that shows the committment but if he cannot recognise that then he does not realise what he is missing in his life which YOU.

You boyfriend in order to relieve needs to admit to himself that he has an addiction and until he recognises that then he will be able admit to himself. The only way you can help him to care from an distance. The spiral effect of his lifestyle us having an major impact on you and us emotionally ripping you apart. Thus very understandable given the circumstance but you have to think of your own well being. Yes, you no doubt when your parents hear about current predicament will say in a parrot fashion say "we told you so..!!!" but I trying to come across realistic.

If I come across horrible then, I am very sorry but I want to realise that giving up your own life for someone else is a very major committment. You have to remain strong for yourself. We will help you but please remember you are among people who understand what you are going through.

Please think about yourself and we can help YOU. Just think someone in the world does care and wants to help YOU. Please keep posting and most important be safe.

I don't mean to cone across horrible and Imapologise for any hurt caused as I do understand what you are going through.
    moxman likes this.
  3. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

It is possible, because you are still young[ish] that you boyfriend has not been a alcoholic for too long, so that will dictate how much rehab he is going to need. I often use this online resource which I have found very informative over time. Not everything is correct, but you get some idea of what you might be facing.

There is no reason whyy you cant live a long and happy life together, but only once your BF gets the help he needs to leave alcohol behind him. Hope that link is of some help. You could also look for a local AA meeting as well.
  4. mapdell

mapdell New Member

Thank you all for your replies. That was a kind of encouragement for me. He has agreed to come with me to an alcohol rehab. Will keep updating. Thankz!! :)
    moxman likes this.