Alcoholic's Anonymous - my first meeting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by outlander, Jul 6, 2016.

1. outlander

outlander Member

I thought I would post this here re: substance abuse.

After being dependent on alcohol (varying degrees) since 1994, I finally went to an AA meeting the other night. I was quite nervous and younger than most there. I wondered if it was like in the films and it actually is! Hi my name is and I'm an alcoholic...then the person 'shares'.

Well, they said I could share for a few minutes at the end if I wanted to but there was no pressure. The stories I heard were truly shocking. A guy said how his wife was in a bad child labour, he went to the hospital for ten minutes then left to buy booze! Another guy would fall asleep in hedges drunk and almost died of hypothermia.

When I thought about it my own stories are up there with the worst in that room. How could I share at the end and not break down in front of these strangers? Well, I did manage to share and I felt a lot better for it. They were all so nice and non judgemental. People would come up to me and shake my hand and say thank you for sharing. At the end one lady gave me a hug and made me promise I'd be at the next meeting.

The bugbear for me the f**k have these people managed to not touch a drop since 1991, 1998 etc etc?? It never ends which is why they still attend and they get comfort from helping others. I shal attend the next meeting but I am still drinking the same atm. That is not unusual from what I heard but at least two of them looked me in the eye and said "I really hope it doesn't take you as long as it took me".

Right now I cannot seriously imagine a life without alcohol. No matter how many success stories I read about how wonderful sobriety feels, I know I'm not even close yet :(

However, I was inspired and it seems doubtful they were all lying and they have a sneaky drink now and then. It really didn't feel that way. If what they say is true it's truly astonishing to me that it can be achieved.
    I thought I'd post this so others in the same situation might go to their first meeting also. And maybe others could help me get past this feeling of "Well it's great you did it but I honestly can't see it happening for me"
    Brittless likes this.
  2. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

If someone would have told me a year ago that I would not be drinking or smoking a year from now, I would have said...ya...right. I used to help with stress. I am so glad you went to your meeting. I will follow your story and thank you.
    iam likes this.
  3. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Outlander good for you. I deal with the addiction myself yet keep it under control myself. You never really give it up, the temptation is always there, controlling it is the key. Good luck to you.
    iam likes this.
  4. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

I'd always kept the prospect of AA in reserve for when I was really, really desperate. Imagine my surprise, shock and horror when I was advised not to stop drinking. That if I did I would suffer organ failure and possibly die!
    I'd explained my situation to a AA guy over the phone. What he said caused me to drink even more...if that were possible?

A week later the need and desire for alcohol was removed in a single moment in time and this is day 6,202 of my sobriety. After 30 years of drunken abuse.

Thanks for your post. I sincerely hope you find release from the prison of booze.

Just a thought that the prison of booze must be the only one in which the inmates lock themselves in and chuck the keys out through the bars. Bars...pun intended.
    iam likes this.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

wow well done to you for attending your first meeting, be proud of yourself. You can overcome this addiction but possibly need extra help, do you have support from your GP as well? Again, well done. I know I am proud of you :)
    iam likes this.
  6. outlander

outlander Member

Thanks for the messages.

Petal, I haven't told my GP yet but will next time I see her.
    iam likes this.