Alcoholism?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hey, im a 17 year old girl from the uk and im been through a lot of stuff like eating disorders, depression, ocd, stress, anxiety etc.I have been worrying lately as I think i may have an alcohol problem and I think this may have come from my previous problems. go to my local pub at most lunchtimes and if im there for an hour i can usually drink about ten drinks.I also go most evenings and can drink about 20 drinks in an evening.Im a 6th form student, and I believe this is having an effect on my 6th form work. Im often drunk at 6th form and I often go out drinking instead of doing work. I often go on alcohol 'benders' when I get stressed (which is often) and I will be nearly permenantly drunk for a week.When I do this and stop drinking, I often get withdrawal symptoms e.g. shaking. Do you think I have a problem, and if so how can I get help?Sorry if i havent explained very well, Im actually drunk now.I think it may be a coping mechanism but its like I HAVE to drink.

2. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Well if you think you have a drinking problem, they you probably do.

You are so young to be having such problems. (((caring hugs)))

I would suggest getting to an AA meeting pronto.

As a card carrying member of AA, from what you described, yep it sure sounds like you have a monster there on your hands.

But you can conquer this addiction. I did, and you can too.

3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

alcohol is often used as a form of self-medication - i've seen it in my father and in my brother

if i truly didn't detest the taste of alcohol myself it could just as easily be me

AA would be a good first step, but you should also discuss this issue with your therapist

4. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Hey thanks im just really embarrassed to go though

5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Don't be embarrassed. You'd be tackling your problems head on. That's something to be proud of, not embarrassed of. :hug:

6. Ptitz

Ptitz Well-Known Member

I had it when i was 16 or so. Pretty bad actually. Then every time i would have any money id go to a book store and get me bunch of books. I would just spend ALL my money on books once i had it. This way i never had money to get drunk even if i wanted to and i had something to keep me busy. So ye, i dunno, the whole method might seem a bit silly(half of those books i never even opened and gave away later) but it kept me off drinking ANY alcohol for 6 months at least. By that time i also realized what a bunch of losers my drinking buddies were. And when i started drinking again it wouldnt be the same as before. No more drinking myself silly until puking somewhere in the corner. So ye, my advice is: take a break and get some perspective. Soon. Or youll be stuck in that state all the way through your 20s and its much harder to fix anything then. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  7. ballinluig

ballinluig Well-Known Member

im a recovering alcoholic and havnt touched a drink in 2 years.

you've done the first 'step'. You know you have a drink problem.
    It is hard to admit but youve said so your self. so well done for reconising you have a problem.

I presume because you said 6th form you live in england. Im sure you would some where in your common room something about the AA. If not find a phone book and it will be in there. PHONE THEM. There nice people, ordinary people whove gone through the same as you.

I really hope you can get some help, its a horrible thing to have-alcholism.
    Do take care, donnaxx:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.