Alexithymia-Feeling excluded from the human race?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Robz328, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robz328

Robz328 Member

(I searched throughout this and other forums here and found no hits--this subject needs more exposure/awareness)

I recently discussed with my Psychiatrist and Psychologist about my apathy and lack of emotion and the topic of Alexithymia came up. I liken this to a personality trait that makes one feel like being excluded from the human race. This trait, coupled with adverse experiences/biological traits can lead to depression and suicidal thinking (for me, quite often). When I read about Alexithymia, I felt myself being described quite well. My Psychiatrist told me that "being able to identify a problem" can aid in healing/acceptance; she said that our culture expects a different type of person than one with Alexithymia; this can generate distress and lead to depression.

Please check it out, and visit your doc for help. Below is the Wikipedia for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithymia

If anyone discovers more about this or has experienced this trait, please share in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.