Almost got mad today!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Loco72, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

I've got such a short fuse today...I went to go donate blood at work, and had to fill out all this paperwork. One of the questions asks if I've ever been to Africa, well I was born and raised in South Africa. So when I talked to the lady who was taking the blood she asked me where in Africa I had been, and I said South Africa, and her response was yes, but what country...that wasn't so bad I guess. But then she asked me if people wore clothes...so I was a little more irritated but didn't let her know, so I told her that in the very rural parts in Africa they only wear loin cloths...Her response to that was "Why? Is it so they can have sex all the time?". OMG I couldn't believe it. I had to do everything in my power not to show how much that frustrates me. I can understand kids asking dumb questions and not knowing, but this was a grown, educated(I thought) woman!

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Well, you answered part of my question in your last sentence. I would like to know your estimate of the age of this person.

It really boggles the mind. I have a niece, age 8, who would never ask such a question. She's not taught any better or worse than the average person...

I hope I'm wrong but the nature of the questions appears to be very racist!

3. Loco72

Loco72 Well-Known Member

I would have thought so too, but the lady who asked the question was African American. I think she was in her late 30's, maybe a bit older.

4. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

The sex comment was out of line really. But other than that I can relate in the sense that I am shocked at how many people know little about certain countrys and even little aspects of life or culture there. It is quite sad to think how naive people are and being educated seems to mean nothing when it comes to life outside your own country.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That woman needs to be taught some manners :dry:
    What she said was completely out of line. You should complain her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.