Alone and dispensable

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by cots, Jul 9, 2016.

1. cots

cots Well-Known Member

Does anyone here feel like they're alone?

I recently reactivated my social media accounts and it appears that I am definitely one very dispensable individual in this entire universe. I look at my contacts and see that their social circles are expanding, while mine is, well, drastically shrinking.

I get a phone call from a "friend" every now and then but I feel like they're just wanting to ask for some help. Other days I get ignored or brushed off.

I cannot recall the last time I hung out with a "group of friends". I cannot recall the last time I did anything fun with a "friend".

I wonder if this is normal. I'm really guessing it isn't.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are most certainly not alone in this at all. I'm the exact same but I prefer to be alone anyway (anxiety/stress issues) but yeah i feel alone in the whole world, 6 billlion people out there and i have no one to hang out with. It's sad. I'm sorry you are going through thjis but remember you are not alone on here. Have you/would you try I have heard great things about it, some members here even use it :) ((Hugs))
    iam likes this.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I feel the same way, so you definitely aren't alone in this. People "like" my posts on Facebook, but how many of them actually care about me? No one ever visits or calls or really talks to me much at all. Most people tend to insult me or make jokes at my expense. I am sorry that you feel this way. It's never good to feel lonely. I hope you can find friends that will stick by you.
  4. cots

cots Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind replies.

I've tried meetup but never made any real friend, but that's probably because I joined a group that didn't suit me. Perhaps I should find something with more like minded people.

I don't get many "likes" for my posts. I could post something funny or share useful info and get nothing. At the same time, someone else could post a selfie and get 10000 likes. Can't help but wonder if it's because I'm too ugly for social media. Or maybe I'm just too ugly for friends.
  5. George120

George120 Member

unfortunately, social media will judge people by the way they look, if your attractive, you will have more likes and reply, its difficult, but you need to surround yourself with the people who like your company, enjoy your comments and opinions.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I doubt you are ugly at all. And if anyone judges you based on your appearance, they aren't good for you, anyway. I don't know why some people get tons of likes for pointless things, while someone else can post something more thoughtful and get none. It just seems that social media is a big popularity contest and shouldn't be taken seriously.
    George120 and __d like this.
  7. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

Try to remember that the particular picture you see is just one second captured of a person's entire life, and even if you scroll through a 1,000 pictures in one day, that's still only 16 minutes worth of other peoples' lives you see. My point is that going through your feed can make you feel like the whole rest of the world is having fun and being happy all the time when you aren't. at least it felt that way to me sometimes (until I deleted it all- which has been good for me).
    Social media creates just as much isolation as it does togetherness. If it makes you feel more alone, or gives you bad vibes in general, delete it. You don't need it and may very well be better off without it. :)
    P.S. You are anything but dispensable. To say that implies that you're not of value, and having 100 friends or none at all does not determine your value.

Wishing you the best.
    George120 likes this.