Alone

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prof.Bruttenholm, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

I realize many people want to believe in a higher power, for some, it is supernatural, for others, it is alien life, but what if we are alone in the universe?
    What if life is simply a point of random happenstance, while some planets may sustain microbial life, only ours sustains anything greater.
    Consider, we live in a diverse solar system with an example of the most common types of planets all around us, we've witnessed events that have bee mathematically proven to be highly uncommon, why? Why is there no life on mars other than dead microbes? What if our planet was the only one that had optimum conditions for life?

I know many people want to believe in aliens, some for the sake of loneliness, others like a religion, believing a super intelligent race came and either influenced or created us, but then who made the aliens, why can mankind not simply be a race created of one planet and of it's own strength and will?

We've sent satellites and probes hundreds of millions of miles from earth and yet we've found nothing. We know there are other planets with conditions to sustain life and yet there are no signs.

Then again, there is a somewhat more chilling idea, what if we are nothing to the universe? What if we're near its edge, an untouched and never to be explored part, exiled from all other possible life in the universe by mere coincidence of our placement?

2. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I've thought this same thought many times. Why can't it be that this IS the only place that can sustain forms of life, people are forever searching for more. And even if we are on the outskirts of some random and lost-forgotten universe, why does that have to necessarily be a chilling and bad thing? If that's what it is, then it is what it is.

I don't believe in God, and I don't believe an aliens, and for me, those two things co-exist - if you believe in one, you should need to believe in the other - although I understand that other people may not feel the same way, it is merely my own opinion.

3. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Some very good questions!

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/we-just-discovered-54-earth-like-planets-lets-go-to-them-2011-2

Compared to the size of the universe this telescope looking around was like me looking out the window to see all the sights on Earth, and yet it located 1200 planets, 54 of them Earth like. Even factoring in that these are not fully confirmed as such statistically it's likely that few are false positives.

It's also true that a planet does not necessarily have to be Earth like in full to harbour life.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Look at it this way. We have not even explored other solar systems within our own galaxy enough to even take a picture of another planet with intelligent civilizations on it; we hardly have a grasp on what exists anywhere else. That's just our own galaxy we haven't even explored, not to mention anywhere else in the UNIVERSE. There are trillions of other galaxies out there, each containing millions of solar systems. The possibility for intelligent civilizations existing within those, or ever having BEEN on those even before our own extremely short existence -- in the small amount of only a million years (and only the last severeal thousand of which we've actually been "civilized" and aware of the cosmos at all -- becomes a very strong likelihood.

I'm 100% certain there is intelligent life elsewhere in this overwhelmingly incomprehensibly large universe of ours which we haven't even explored ten thousandths of a single percentage of, and that's my opinion for now, but I just know that it's an unverified fact. We're extremely small, Prof.Bruttenholm, but we are not alone. And also not half as intelligent and accomplished as we think we are.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  6. Prof.Bruttenholm

That is another good point, what if we're the last of life? What if we're the last civilization to reach this point, what if all others have already lived and died? What if the rest of the universe is dead?

7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

What if we're not?

There are an infinite number of what-ifs. What matters is what's most likely.

8. Prof.Bruttenholm

This is a discussion, just have fun. The what-ifs are plentiful so there is much to consider, what if we never make it past mars? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.