Alternative? (May trigger..?)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by existing, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. existing

existing Active Member

I feel i'm safe. I'm quite confident I won't do it. I don't know of anything I can use that can injure myself even if i'm desperate. I've managed not to do it for a couple of weeks now. However...
    It's a bit like when some people try to give up smoking; as much as they miss the actual hit of nicotine, they also miss the movement of their hand going to their mouth (hence the reason why some people use an 'inhalor' as part of their Nicotine Replacement Therapy).
    I'm looking for a similar thing but as part of my "Cutting Replacement Therapy"...
    As much as I miss my hit, I also miss the physical action of cutting my arm and also seeing blood.
    What can I do as an alternative?
    By the way, don't suggest using tomato sauce as a blood substitue. I hate the stuff. :rolleyes:

2. allofme

allofme Staff Alumni

lol
    actually you have hit upon a fundimental basis of behavior modifacation
    replace one behavior with anothe .... cus as you state ... we need something we need to do...

so .... i did work with someone that would sh by picking at her self.. i got red food coloring .. and thoses circle bandaids....

put red food color on the band aids.. and placed them on her arms.. she would pick and them and .. all in all her SH declined by 93 percent...

so maybe drag a non sharp instrament along your arm while squeezing a tube of red food coloring ....

thats about all i can think of right now... sorry...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.