Alternative Therapies

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Shrinks and meds aren't the only defense against depression. They are others alternatives.

Music Therapy
    Music therapy is a technique of complementary medicine that uses music prescribed in a skilled manner by trained therapists. Programs are designed to help patients overcome physical, emotional, intellectual, and social challenges.

Yoga
    The term yoga comes from a Sanskrit word that means yoke or union. Traditionally, yoga is a method joining the individual self with the Divine, Universal Spirit, or Cosmic Consciousness.

Massage
    Massage therapy is the scientific manipulation of the soft tissues of the body for the purpose of normalizing those tissues and consists of manual techniques that include applying fixed or movable pressure.

Acupuncture
    Acupuncture is one of the main forms of treatment in traditional Chinese medicine. It involves the use of sharp, thin needles that are inserted in the body at very specific points.

Tai Chi
    T''ai chi is an ancient Chinese exercise with movements that originate in martial arts practice. While used as a type of self-defense in its most advanced form, t''ai chi is practiced widely for its health and relaxation benefits.

Shiatsu
    Shiatsu is a manipulative therapy developed in Japan and incorporating techniques of anma(Japanese traditional massage), acupressure, stretching, and Western massage. Shiatsu involves applying pressure to special points or areas on the body/

Guided Imagery
    Guided imagery therapy is a cognitive-behavioral technique in which a client is guided in imagining a relaxing scene or series of experiences

Aromatherapy
    Aromatherapy is the therapeutic use of plant-derived, aromatic essential oils to promote physical and psychological well-being

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Boo :smile:

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

wow i seem to do so many of those myself without thinking cool isn't it? although not the yoga and acupunture stuff.
    but i do have an oil burner. i got it last year to try and help me calm down :laugh:
    i seem to do some mystical movement at times when i feel like i'm gonna die though. i do it without thinking... it's not that great, but i do it combined with visualisation. it's basically a "stay away" movement and not that mystical when you think about it, it's just a sheild. :dunno: but my therapist says i'm a natural.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  4. nok1888

nok1888 Well-Known Member

I my own music therapy, Slipknot 9.0 live full blast usually does it lol

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

isn't it? my boombox does the trick in my flat :biggrin:

6. kemistry

kemistry Well-Known Member

When im feeling a bit off I like to listen to moody music, somehow sad songs always cheer me up lol.

Aromatherapy is a great alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.